OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

No turkeys today but check this guy out.

Started by birdyhunter, March 22, 2013, 01:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

birdyhunter

Found him on a river bank sleeping. Figure he's roughly a week old and we Turned him back loose shortly after snapping a few pictures.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

busta biggun

Not trying to be rude or anything but you should not pick up baby deer. When your scent gets on them it may result in the mother not feeding it. I hope I am wrong. Any time you see a fawn that looks abandoned, the mother is usually somewhere near in hiding.

Deputy 14

:
Quote from: busta biggun on March 22, 2013, 01:18:17 PM
Not trying to be rude or anything but you should not pick up baby deer. When your scent gets on them it may result in the mother not feeding it. I hope I am wrong. Any time you see a fawn that looks abandoned, the mother is usually somewhere near in hiding.

This ^
I talked to a friend of mine who is a conservation officer about does returning to fawns that have been touched by humans and he said that its close to 50 % that will abandon their fawns. Also, I'm not sure where you are, but its quite possibly illegal and considered harassing wildlife so I think would probably not post pictures for everyone to see.

redarrow

Great pic. Gotta love fawns. My Daughter and SIL found one laying in the middle of a blacktop road. SIL picked it up,took some pics and carried it into the woods He joined him momma and they walked off together.

jwhunter

Give the guy a break. If he knew it would have hurt the fawn he wouldn't have done it. I have a friend who is a wildlife biologist and he told me that this is more of a myth than a fact. Its is best to leave them alone. But the mother will not reject the baby just b/c you touched it. The mother still knows that is her baby. The mother will more than likely return hours later.

busta biggun

I never implied in any way that the guy knowingly put the fawn at risk. He obviously meant no harm. I was simply trying to point out it's better to leave them lay. Not just for birdyhunter, but in case others saw it and thought would be cool as well. I have read that the mothers will return with no problem, even if you touched them, but I have also read that the mothers will reject. We really don't know for sure so I was saying that it is best to leave them alone. That's all.

turkey_slayer

That is so cool. Hard to believe we can shoot em when they are so cute as babies lol. Isn't a little early for em to be dropping? We still got a good 2 months +- before we see any hit the ground

Deputy 14

Wasn't trying to come off as rude or hateful. Would just rather let the guy know that the possibility of the doe leaving the fawn is there. Also, I would hate to see him get fined for something as innocent as picking the fawn up.

captin_hook

Nice pic. I don't know if its a good idea to touch a fawn or not. I know one thing though, you're not nearly as dangerous as the packs of coyotes hunting fawns.

hoyt

There's different opinions about this as usual.

Myth:
If a human touches a fawn, its mother
won't accept it.
Fact:
If a fawn has been handled by a human
and has human scent on it, the doe will still accept the
fawn. She just spent 7 months carrying this fawn. A
little human scent won't make her give it up.
Myth:
It is okay to touch the fawn, you just have
to leave it where it is.
Fact:
It's not a good idea to touch fawns or to
disturb the area where you find one. The more time a
person spends around a fawn, the more human scent
is left in the area. A clever coyote or domestic dog
may follow your human scent trail and find the fawn
at the end of it. It is best to slowly leave the area and
not return

tomstopper

Quote from: captin_hook on March 22, 2013, 02:18:13 PM
Nice pic. I don't know if its a good idea to touch a fawn or not. I know one thing though, you're not nearly as dangerous as the packs of coyotes hunting fawns.
x2

birdyhunter

it is perfectly legal to handle a fawn where I am from, also odds of the mother rejecting her offspring is very very low. If I would have thought it was going to cause problems or somehow harm the fawn I wouldn't have touched it. I've done enough reading and research on deer to know that the mother had probably rejoined her fawn within minutes of us leaving the area. All is well I'm sure and I'm going to take your comments as concern and they are appreciated.

buck_hunter21

Cool to see I am sure. Would love to see such a young deer......but I wouldn't even consider picking it up for a rough looking picture.
Spill Blood

birdyhunter

Quote from: buck_hunter21 on March 22, 2013, 05:40:10 PM
Cool to see I am sure. Would love to see such a young deer......but I wouldn't even consider picking it up for a rough looking picture.
well to each his own.

Gumby