OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

If a Jake gobbles and struts would you kill him?

Started by I hate turkeys, March 22, 2013, 01:45:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fireengine70

I would not shoot one personally. If youre into that and it makes you happy, knock yourself out.

lumberjack

Yes, and he doesn't have to strut or gobble.......as many have said its your opinion and choice!  We make hundreds of them a day, regardless of what our internet friends say is right or wrong!! Shoot em if ya want, let em walk if you don't!!  But I'd like to follow some of ya'll around and have a chance at all these jakes you're letting walk!!!  Good luck this year!  Be safe and God Bless!!!

bigboy84

vicksburg

]

mnturkey

I have killed a jake that gobbled and strutted.  The bird had a full fan and I could not see the beard.
I also killed one on the last day of the season at about 6:00 in the evening.
it depends on the time and how the season went.  In MN we only get one bird and have a five or seven day season so you have to take what you can get.
SEMPER FI

CallDr

Quote from: mountman62 on March 22, 2013, 01:26:46 PM
Well, either we got a bunch of liars on here, or the folks that will shoot one are too ashamed to answer this question

I did not find this a hot topic, some trap for liars and ashamed hunters on this forum...... it may others. I thought it was a good cross section of what people choose. I think the people who posted were honest and those who did not have something to offer....... others said as they felt or did. That is most likely why this forum is so popular.

www.wildtalker.com

redleg06

It's not my thing but if it makes you happy then have at it...

howl

My first bird was a limbhanger that I called and shot while hunting alone. It had several 14" strands in its beard. So, I never got the chance to take a jake as a first bird. I still have not, though I'd like to get one. If I called one up on purpose I would shoot. Trouble is I've only ever done that once and it was for a youth shooter. The others were coincidental when calling to a particular gobbler.

Anybody knows how to consistently target and call in a jake, I'm all ears. The way I hunt gets me better odds on 3+ year old gobblers.