Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

If a Jake gobbles and struts would you kill him?

Started by I hate turkeys, March 22, 2013, 01:45:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrowningGuy88

I hammered one this morning at 7:30 that I had watched strut and gobble for 45 minutes. I didn't shoot him when he first strutted or when he first gobbled, but after the show and the rain was picking up I sent the load of Hevi 6's to him at 18 steps.

I wasn't going to shoot him at first (it was actually 2 strutters), but I am going to hunt 12 days this season and have 5 tags. I enjoyed the hunt immensely and he will taste great for Sunday lunch!

dlquinn

Yes...my chances for a bird are few and far between. I do my best to take whatever legal bird is presented to me. Same goes for all my hunting...it's about meat in the freezer for my family.
NRA-STAND AND FIGHT

WVhuntEER

I shot my first jake last year.  It didn't do anything for me and I instantly wished I didn't.  He was in a group of about 9 together.    Nothing wrong with jakes if it makes you happy.  Like ol Cuz says, "it's your hunt".

eddie234

I guess it would depend on where the season was. If it was at the end then yes. First few weeks no.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

Garrett Trentham

Quote from: Daman on March 22, 2013, 03:35:55 PM
I hammered one this morning at 7:30 that I had watched strut and gobble for 45 minutes. I didn't shoot him when he first strutted or when he first gobbled, but after the show and the rain was picking up I sent the load of Hevi 6's to him at 18 steps.

I wasn't going to shoot him at first (it was actually 2 strutters), but I am going to hunt 12 days this season and have 5 tags. I enjoyed the hunt immensely and he will taste great for Sunday lunch!

A fine example of when I would shoot a jake. You fooled them, they put on a show, and you had plenty of tags left for "trophy" birds. Good eatin in your future for sure!

I really don't understand the argument of passing a strutting a gobbling jake for a chance at a two year old. Two year olds are essentially jakes that strut and gobble. They gobble a lot, come in on a string, and often don't think twice about walking right into your lap. No doubt they are a fun bird to hunt and harvest, but a jake that struts and gobbles is just the same.

If you passed on jakes and two year olds for three year old and older toms that are a little more woods and hunter savvy, that would make more sense to me.

But, to each their own. Good to see most don't hold it against another, so long as it's legal and ethical.
"Conservation needs more than lip service... more than professionals. It needs ordinary people with extraordinary desire. "
- Dr. Rex Hancock

www.deltawaterfowl.org

Byhalia

No I would not.....but if it your first bird....LETUM HAVE IT !!!!!    :fud:  :OGani:

then you are hooked....... :z-guntootsmiley:   and God help ya !!   :you_rock:
~ Listen to the Wind ~    http://customprocalls.com/

alclark2

If I'm in Alabama this weekend at the begining of our hunt on public land with 5 tags and a jake pops out on a slow day rainy... We're having turkey for lunch. If I'm in Indiana on some public land of a buddies with 1 tag. He's walking.
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

Orion6

I have shot a couple.  Might in the future.  Just depends on how the season has gone and what the birds are doing.

I'm cool with whatever people do if they're ethical and legal.

chatterbox

Personally, no. I have let jakes walk the last 3 seasons, and ate tag soup.
It boils down to what you as a hunter want to do. The desicion is completely yours, not anyone elses.
If you have no issues shooting a jake, them by all means, hammer him. I get one tag in the spring, and I prefer longbeards.
Now that being said, one of the most exciting hunts I was a part of was my buddies first turkey hunt, and I called in a jake for him.
Now this bird was as wary as they come. He came on a line to the decoy, and about 20 yards before he hit the deke, he bolts into the woods.
He's in there just hammering like a big boy, and slowly, slinks into the field where my buddy popped him.
So, based on the thrill, that one ranked right up there! Great hunt, and awsome memories.

swamp_bird89

ALfwlmth

Kids or someone who has never killed one, yes. But I've never had anyone in either category take me up on the jake offer.

longspur

I've let them all walk for four seasons. Who knows what might happen to the next one. Last year I called in two for a guy that had never killed one. He shot one and ask me if he could kill the other. It wasn't my call to make, it was his property. But he ask and I said no. Couple of weeks later what I believe to be the same jake busted me when I had a longbeard comming.

HARDCORE

slawman

to me, it's all about the game we play...if hes willin to play the game....he loses. i don't measure the magnitude of a hunt by the length of the beard or spurs or even the weight. life is too short. tomorrow may never come....................i'm just sayin....besides , i just happen to have another tag.

Solid Snake

Quote from: ALfwlmth on March 22, 2013, 10:46:38 PM
Kids or someone who has never killed one, yes. But I've never had anyone in either category take me up on the jake offer.

Quote from: Gamblinman on March 22, 2013, 07:05:37 AM
Kids and first timers...yes

Me personally...he walks.

Gman

Thanks for laying out the rules for everyone guys. I wasn't sure if I was allowed to kill a jake since I've already got a nice tom in the past. Lmao how freaking pathetic - heaven forbid somebody enjoys a nice hunt and gets some turkey for the grill at the end of the day...