Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

If a Jake gobbles and struts would you kill him?

Started by I hate turkeys, March 22, 2013, 01:45:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightsoutcalls

I did once on the last day of an out of state hunt.  It just wasn't as fullfilling for me. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

mudhen

Not now, but I might have a few years ago.

Zero problem with someone else dumping the jake though...

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

redarrow

Quote from: stinkpickle on March 22, 2013, 09:05:23 AM
Usually, no.  BUT I won't say never.

My thoughts too. I hope I never kill another one. But I can't say I never will.

heathwesley

Nope.  Unless it was a first kill opportunity for a youth. 

alloutdoors

No, but I don't care if someone else wants to. I've personally never understood the idea of using gobbling and strutting to justify shooting a jake though, a jake is a jake is a jake.

Gooserbat

Last day and I've not killed anything all year...yeah.  Otherwise...nah.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Muzzy61

Quote from: Gamblinman on March 22, 2013, 07:05:37 AM
Kids and first timers...yes

Me personally...he walks.

Gman

Same here for me, but anyone who leagally fills their tag is ok with me too.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

tomstopper

Quote from: redarrow on March 22, 2013, 09:43:01 AM
Quote from: stinkpickle on March 22, 2013, 09:05:23 AM
Usually, no.  BUT I won't say never.

My thoughts too. I hope I never kill another one. But I can't say I never will.
x2

mountman62

Well, either we got a bunch of liars on here, or the folks that will shoot one are too ashamed to answer this question, for me, yes i have killed my share of turkeys, YES, i have killed some jakes, YES, i will kill another one, killed 2 year before last, all depends on circumstances, I had been to Texas 4 times and never killed a Rio, went in 2011 by myself, drove 8 hours, met the landowner before daylight, he gave me the layout, and let me go, nothing at daylight, around 930, i called up 2 jakes, only one of them left, at 1130, i called in 6 jakes, only 5 left, did i feel bad for shooting 2 jakes, NOPE, did i get to hear them gobbling and strutting, YES, did i enjoy shooting them, YES, when i don't get a thrill out of it, i will quit, just like deer hunting, when i don't get a thrill out of seeing even a doe, I WILL QUIT, Yes, I did kill a longbeard that evening, and could have killed another one, drove back home 8 hours that night, will I kill a jake this year, maybe maybe not, all depends, but it is my right to shoot or not to shoot, would I rather kill a longbeard, YES, but does it take the trill out of it to me by killing a jake, nope, the thrill is in the hunt, some jakes are just as hard as some are easy, every man has to make his own decision, this is my opinion and mine only
It's not a passion, It's an OBSESSION

[img][img]

Ded Goblr

I call lots of mature toms into gun range every year, so I tend to be selective. Even after my tags are filled I go out and call 'em in just to watch 'em. So jakes are off the menu. That being said it's each hunters person right to decide, if it's legal have at it. I think it's important for a young or new hunter to experience success, and a jake fills that bill just fine..

turkey_slayer

Nope want shoot one. Your on a turkey forum full of people eat up with turkey hunting. Most just are not going to shoot em on here. Deer forums are about the same way

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quote from: mountman62 on March 22, 2013, 01:26:46 PM
Well, either we got a bunch of liars on here, or the folks that will shoot one are too ashamed to answer this question, for me, yes i have killed my share of turkeys, YES, i have killed some jakes, YES, i will kill another one, killed 2 year before last, all depends on circumstances, I had been to Texas 4 times and never killed a Rio, went in 2011 by myself, drove 8 hours, met the landowner before daylight, he gave me the layout, and let me go, nothing at daylight, around 930, i called up 2 jakes, only one of them left, at 1130, i called in 6 jakes, only 5 left, did i feel bad for shooting 2 jakes, NOPE, did i get to hear them gobbling and strutting, YES, did i enjoy shooting them, YES, when i don't get a thrill out of it, i will quit, just like deer hunting, when i don't get a thrill out of seeing even a doe, I WILL QUIT, Yes, I did kill a longbeard that evening, and could have killed another one, drove back home 8 hours that night, will I kill a jake this year, maybe maybe not, all depends, but it is my right to shoot or not to shoot, would I rather kill a longbeard, YES, but does it take the trill out of it to me by killing a jake, nope, the thrill is in the hunt, some jakes are just as hard as some are easy, every man has to make his own decision, this is my opinion and mine only

Ever think for a second that everyone who said they dont shoot jakes are telling the truth?

It may be difficult to understand based on your line of thinking but outside of the kids I take, no one I hunt with shoots jakes.  Try it sometime...

Dray223

Quote from: mountman62 on March 22, 2013, 01:26:46 PM

Did i say i wouldn't shoot a jake? yes.
Did i tell the truth? yes.
Did you call me a liar over the internet? yes
Do i think its pretty pathetic to call a group of people a liar or shameful that you have never met? yes
Do i think that makes you look dim? yes
but this is my opinion and mine only
ps. Congrats on the rio's

CT Spur Collector

Depends on how the season is going and the mood I'm in.