turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hunting In the Rain?

Started by Gobble Nole, March 21, 2013, 11:09:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobble Nole

DO yall go?  I just hunt the fields or gas lines in the more open areas and try to stay dry.  Just curious what yall do...

I just dont like carrying my nice calls out in the rain.  A couple mouth calls only...

I have never killed a bird in the rain but it is supposed to rain this weekend and I really want to go...

Thanks,

GN

mnturkey

I hunt whatever the weather is.  In MN we get 5 or 7 days to hunt, if it rains I loose out 1/5 of my hunting time.  I have a good rain suit and sit in fields, or the edges of fields.  I put my calls in a plastic bag (ziploc) and use them.
The turkeys do not go inside and sit down with a bowl of soup.  They are out in the rain and continue their lives, they might stay on the roost a few miutes longer and not gobble as much but they are out there.
I have taken a couple turkeys in the rain, with only five days I hunt all of eah day, thats what I have for the year.
I know some guys who have good blinds that keep the dry and they use them.
Rain, snow, wind, cold, the turkeys are still living. (I hope dying 30yds in front of my Shotgun)
SEMPER FI

tomstopper

Some of my best hunts were in the rain. I dont welcome it but I definitley dont let it stop me. Ziplocks and rain gear are what I use & I usually stay pretty dry that way. Good luck & remember that there are alot of hunters who wont hunt in the rain which means less competition on public land as well....

lightsoutcalls

You might try sitting in a blind if it is raining.  I found they won't keep you completely dry, but do keep you from getting AS wet. 

I have yet to kill a bird in the rain, but have killed a few right before it started raining (rained on my dead bird) and when the sun came out after a rain. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

ctwny1

I hunt in the rain and found that if I use a Buckwing umbrella (the large one) it works out great. Keeps me dry which means I'm comfotable and it's not a problem to transport in or out. Swear by this umbrella. I also will carry and have on a Browning gore tex rain jacket and pants. The only time I'll leave and wait in the car or camp is if there is lighting involved. I just not up to getting electrocuted. That makes for a bad hair day if yea know what I mean. But when and if it stops I'm out there.

redarrow

Pouring down rain ,No. Light rain yes. In a pop up it makes for a nice nap

30_06

I hunt when I get the chance to regardless the weather.
Took my last bird after conversing with a friend who said he would not hunt in such high winds because nothing would be "out there".

In wet weather I try to focus on places birds in my area go to stay somewhat dry. A good rain suit is quite nice, a blind is even better.

guesswho

I love hunting in the rain.  Less people to deal with and the turkey's are usually more visible.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

lonnie sneed jr.

Rain or shine, if I take off work to go I hunt. After next year I will not have to take time off. I will be retired yahoooooooo. Anyway I Cary a slate with a water proof striker, mouth calls, wing bone or cow horn yelper and just hunt. I have killed some very big gobblers in the rain, and a few in Spring snows. A bad day of hunting is better than a good day at work.

:OGturkeyhead: :OGturkeyhead:

redleg06

If I have time off work then I'm going rain or shine....the turkey have no where else to go so I'm going to be out there with them.

A lot of times,Ive found that right after a big rain, they tend to get motivated. Almost like they missed out on some time and need to get with it to make up for it.

It also lets you sneak around in the woods better and find real fresh tracks in muddy areas.

alclark2

I go when I can and a bonus is less competition in the woods with other hunters when hunting the public.
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

leasburg

They seem to head to the fields when it rains so I will put on my camo frog toggs and set up a blind in a field.  Last year I went in blind on some public ground in central mo and it rained all morning.  I worked a bird that gobbled every time it thundered, it was a very memorable bird, and a great run and gun hunt. 
Rub it right pro staff, hunt em boats pro staff, proud supporter of floating the 4th shell, take a kid golfing my hunting spots are getting crowded

Kylongspur88

Yes. Popup blind is the ticket.

M,Yingling

Only time i get to hunt during week is if it rains ,, grab a tube call or 2 and find the nearest pine tree 
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

captin_hook

I love sitting on a field edge in the rain. Killed a couple in the rain.