OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Looking for a recommendation on a nice Box Call...

Started by kevin2, March 20, 2013, 08:42:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin2

This is the last call, or two, I need to add before our season starts in another month. I don't want to spend a mint, but don't want to waste my money on junk either.

I was considering one of the Primos calls, as I read some decent reviews on them. I thought the Wet Box by Primos was a cool idea, but I found it had some mixed reviews. But, I wanted to see if there was some other options that you all could recommend before I went down that road. I know there is obviously better box calls out there, but are there any that I can afford at that $20-$60 mark? Are there any custom made call makers putting anything out in that price range?

I've looked in the classifieds for a used custom box, but I'm clueless as to what I'm looking for OR at! So, what call name/brands in that custom category would I need to look for??

I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

jakebird

As far as production calls in that price range i would say Primos heartbreaker with the purple heart wood , also their box cutter is a good one, the knight and hale bloodwood cutter and MAD cherry bomb are all great boxes . What i like is volume, high pitch that rolls over and breaks into good rasp . I like a box that rattles your eardrums for windy days and striking distant birds when run and gunning . You shouldnt be disappointed with any of these or a quaker boy grand old master if you can find one . I hear they are making them again.
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

Kylongspur88

Check out the turkey call classified section. I use an old and I mean old lynch...

scoot12

SS custom calls makes a great field grade box for $55.  Also Joe Slaton makes some nice boxes from $50-$80.  Scoot

TauntoHawk

I recently had a thread with a poll about box calls. I was willing to spend up to $125 but was only looking for sound and didn't care for inlays and checkering. The consensus was to call Al shoemaker at SS customs and get a field grade short box for $61 to my door.

I should have the box in about a week and can't wait, Al took a few awards home recently for his short boxes at the southeastern comp

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Chris Downs

Cane Creek makes a nice box in that price range.  If you're looking for production stuff, I'd suggest the Primos Heartbreaker, MAD Cherry Bomb or Shady Lady, or a Woodhaven Real Hen.  If you want custom, I'd look for a Halloran Purple Heart/Cedar in the classifieds...or any Halloran in the classifieds, for that matter. 

TurkeyTim

I love this box call.  My son and I have killed 10 turkeys with it over the last 2 years and it has called in many more. The frame is plastic with wood sides but don't let the plastic bother or its ugly looks.  This will be my go to call this year.   I ordered 3 more this year just to have extras and because it always seems when you find something good they discontinue it.

H.S. Strut Field Champion Box Turkey Call

Tim

catman529

The only box call I own/have ever owned is a Woods Wise Mystic no chalk, works when wet.... I don't like carrying a box call around, which is why I only own one, but it sounds pretty good to me. I got it on clearance for like $5 or something. Looking on the Woods wise website, there are 3 or 4 different Mystic calls but I will assume I have the classic wet hen call because mine doesn't say. But it sells for $23 on the site so it is plenty affordable.

mudhen

Primos Heartbreaker, Box Cutter.

Cody One Sider is a great call.

And yep, $60-$80 calls from S&S and Slaton.

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Yooper

There are a whole lot of good sounding calls available.  I guess it just depends on how much you want to spend. A lot of birds have been called in by Lynch calls.  I like the one-sider, but the World Champion is preferred by a lot of hunters.  My partner likes his Old Quaker Grand Master. 

Gamblinman

I tried many box calls over the year before I settled on a Woodhaven Cherry. She sings pure turkey.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

STRYKER

I would stay away from that wetbox it sounds horrible in my opinion, way too high pitched and inconsistent. I myself carry a lynch's world champion and i like it pretty good for a production call.

teke

Mother Lode box call give Joe Slaton a call, you'll be happy.  :welcomeOG:

kevin2

well, I made my first box call choice tonight. I did some reading on the classifieds & came across a local Michigan custom box maker Gobblez (Mike) of Spring Creek Turkey Calls. Seemed to be a bunch of good feedback on his calls, so I gave him a call, we chatted, he played a few calls over the phone for me (honestly didn't know what I needed OR what I was hearing!), and in the end, I selected a call that Mike thought would be a good choice. Got a BLOODWOOD over BLACK WALNUT LONG BOX, and I'm jacked to get it & get to learning.

Gobblez (Mike) of Spring Creek Turkey Calls web site

http://springcreekturkeycalls.weebly.com/

The call!

I'm going to buy one other cheaper call, likely a small box, just don't know what one yet. I'm thinking one of the waterproof boxes. Heard all sorts of mixed reviews on them, but it sounds like a good idea & I'm a sucker for good ideas!

Thanks to everyones input. Any other suggestions will likely be kindly appreciated...

Thanks Mike!

I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

longbeard56

You beat me to it. You made a good choice with Mike and his Spring creek calls.
longbeard 56/Tenth Legionnaire
Tri-County Longbeards
NWTF Chapter
Southern NJ.