Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best Conditioner for Slate and strikers?

Started by sloanP, March 20, 2013, 10:53:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sloanP

whats the best thing to use for Slate? how bout for your strikers? I have a bunch of sandpaper but cant find a place that cells scotch brite?  how often do you sand your slates and how often to you condition your glass pots.

lightsoutcalls

I use green scotchbrite on my slate calls.  Google scotchbrite pads and click the shopping tab.  You can find them at lots of online sellers.  You should be able to find them at any Lowe's or hardware store near the sandpaper.  You can also check walmart near the dish soap and stuff. Condition slates whenever you begin to notice quite a few marks from the striker or when your striker no longer grips the surface as it should.  Condition the striker tip when it begins to have a dark buildup from slate or a glossy appearance if running it on glass or aluminum.  I use 120 grit sandpaper on glass calls and striker tips.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

magnoliagamecalls

If I have a choice I like the Marion scotchbrite pads they are just a little courser use them on strikers too

misfire

I have yet to go in a grocery store that didn't have the green Scotchbrite pads. Should be in the household cleaning aisle. For strikers, I just clean them off with the same thing
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

Gooserbat

Green Scotchbrite for slate , 120 grit for strikers, and 80 grit on glass.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

SCGobbler

are the heavy duty green scotchbrite pads too much for slate?

Should I be using the cheap $1 store pads for slates instead?
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge