turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mouth call questions

Started by swampy, March 06, 2011, 07:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swampy

How many of you guys are familair with cane creeks smoker and tom teasers call girl mouth calls? Ive tried around thirty other diaphrams numerous models from hooks, legacy, tom teasers, mad, zink, cane creek and ive yet according to me found anything as easy to play and have the sound quality i like. I guess my question is if theres anyone out there thats used the call girl or smoker whats some comparable calls. ive tried most the popular requested calls on the board just looking for one that takes little air pressure for suttle yet clear not muffled calling.
CLUCK, YELP, BOOM.

drum817

Have you tried the Hooks Executioner ? ....if not, give it a try.   I would think it will fit that bill perfectly.
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

swampy

yeap, ive tried the executioner,devastater, both sassy gals. I do see why they (hooks) are recomended alot they seem to have a different sound maybe its just my way of calling. I just cant quiet get a consistent clear front end out of the the hooks. I favor the sassy gals the most as far as hooks goes.
CLUCK, YELP, BOOM.

jyoung

swampy, 

Finding that "perfect" mouth call is aways unfortunately a trial and error thing.  I used to spend 100's of dollars year to year trying to find "THE ONE."  I feel your pain!  I met up with a guy at Nationals a couple years ago and told him my situation.  He then told me that he made mouth calls and owns Hillbilly Custom Game Calls.  The moment I tried one of his calls, I was hooked!  They are by far the easiest to run calls I have ever used and have an awesome sound.  I use these calls on the stage and in the woods straight out of the pack!  I am now on his pro staff.  Check us out online at http://www.hillbillygamecalls.com/ and if you have any questions about anything PM me or call Jack (the owner).  His number is on the website.  Everybody is different, but I finally found "my call."  If you are anything like I used to be, its worth giving one of these calls a try.  It may just be your new go-to call for now on.  Hope this helps.  BTW,  you will get one of our awesome new decals with any purchase!  Limited time.
Jonathan Young

swampy

Thanks j young i just may try a couple and see what they'll do. Your right about the trial and error doings. I wish their was a better system for informing hunters on things like tension and reed thickness. I guess if we knew those things we'd be making our own. They got us by the nad's but its exciting popping a new one in and it being what you want and at the same time helping the callmakers make a living.
CLUCK, YELP, BOOM.

Grasshopper

Perfection has been producing " handmade" mouth calls for over 35 years.
Quality handmade calls take far less air to use over machine made calls.

jyoung

Quote from: swampy on March 07, 2011, 06:03:06 PM
Thanks j young i just may try a couple and see what they'll do. Your right about the trial and error doings. I wish their was a better system for informing hunters on things like tension and reed thickness. I guess if we knew those things we'd be making our own. They got us by the nad's but its exciting popping a new one in and it being what you want and at the same time helping the callmakers make a living.

swampy,  reed thickness is really no big secret.  Most of our line we use .004 and .003 reed thicknesses, but we do have .006 and .002(proph)thickness reeds if people like thicker or thinner reeds.  Normally the thicker the reed combination, the raspier the call and the harder to blow.  Me personally, I do not like a VERY thick top reed because I can not get as clear of a front end on my yelps, but to each is their own.  As far as tension, we hand stretch all of our calls on a gauge system press where we stretch the call right down to the one-thousandth increment to insure consistency that you can not get from mass produced calls.  All of our calls are medium to light stretch which allows less air pressure to run the call.  This is great when you have been runnin' N gunnin' and stop on top of a ridge;you can run the call out of breath and still get that perfect yelp! When you combine a lighter tension and a good combination of reed thickness, you can't beat the ease of use and the "PURE TURKEY" sound that come from these calls. 
Jonathan Young

runngun

+1 on Hillbilly Custom Calls they are everything that Jack and jyoung tells you they are. Simply AWESOME. They are great guys too.
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Longbeardfever4ever

www.dankendallcalls.com

Try them out! I highly recommend the matriarch, 2 reeded whistler, and gone wild. You can find all of them on his site.  They all have a high front end and take very little air to blow. His customer service is top notch as well!
Hook's Custom Calls
Keep The Fever Custom Calls
Romans 3:24

savduck

I havent used the smoker but Im a fan of Cane Creeks Mr. Death and Cane Cutter.

I have bought tons of mouth calls over the years. I still buy the cane creeks, but I really started liking the stuff from Martins Brothers. I also really like David Hallorans new mouth calls. The little yellow one and the red one are two of the best sounding mouth calls I have ever blown. They sounded awesome for me with no break in required. Im gonna order a pile of them before they change.

Your just gonna have to spend a little money. My advise would be to go on Midwest turkey supply and just go through all the pages of mouth calls. I find that the quality of sound for me comes more from the style of cut than anything else. I blow cutters and bat wings the best.  Buy the ones that have a similar cut and then youll figure out if the stretch and reed types by the manufactures fit you best. There is more to calls than the cut, but to weed them out, thats what I do first when selecting them.

Woodhaven makes ones similar to the Cane Creek Smoker....at least style wise. Its the Matt Van Cise signature call.

Georgia Boy

StruttinGobbler3

You mentioned the tom teasers call girl..have you tried the tom teasers meat call? Thats one of my favorite calls riding in my vest. However, I also plan on trying some Hooks mouth calls since they have such a large following here on this site.
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

swampy

Savduck your advise is spot on with what i've been doing buying all the best sellers in the cuts i prefer most from midwest. I sure love a sweet easy running realistic call and i've surely spent the money to find the few that I have. I apreciate the input callmakers put out there for me.
CLUCK, YELP, BOOM.

VAHUNTER

give Perfection a try. you will not be sorry  :icon_thumright:
Good things come to those who wait

BigGobbler

Quote from: VAHUNTER on March 11, 2011, 07:45:59 AM

Do you still do business with bass pro in Orlando? Went there 3 times in the last 3 weeks and there is no calls at all from Perfection. Wanted to get one of each of the Trifecta and try them out.

struttin_1

Quote from: BigGobbler on March 11, 2011, 01:26:30 PM
Quote from: VAHUNTER on March 11, 2011, 07:45:59 AM

Do you still do business with bass pro in Orlando? Went there 3 times in the last 3 weeks and there is no calls at all from Perfection. Wanted to get one of each of the Trifecta and try them out.

Go directly to the website and you can order everything they have right there.
www.perfectionturkeycalls.com