OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How Bad Is The Hunting IN South Alabama Right Now?

Started by R AJ, March 20, 2013, 10:22:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shotgun

Quote from: TRKYHTR on March 20, 2013, 07:30:54 PM
I heard they are supposed to turn it on next week. At least I hope because thats when I will be down there. LOL

TRKYHTR

X2

HARDCORE

atoler

in east central AL. friday heard one gobble way off. sunday heard 4 on the limb, 3 shut up when they hit the ground, the fourth gobbled occassionally for a few hours, all had ten plus hens with them. struck one that gobbled one time at 10ish, struck one at 11:30 that gobbled about 20x. got him to 50yds, had a bunch of hens with him. tuesday, heard nothin til about 12, got him gobbling good, had to be off the wma at 1 or he coulda been killed. today heard 3 to 4 off the roost, 2 gobbled 5 to 10 times, one gobbled twice, and the other gobbled well for the first thirty minutes. I had roosted those birds and snuck in early on. got closer than I meant to, and when it got daylight they were in the tree about 50yds away. couldn't call with em that close, and they flew straight down into the group of 20 or so hens they were roosted with.

In 4 days of hard hunting, the only birds I've encountered that didn't have atleast ten hens with them, were the two I watched/roosted last night.

wish the wmas here in bama would let you hunt past one, cuz late afternoon is the only time they aren't with hens right now. easily the worst opening week I can recall. I've put over  23miles on my boots so far this week. can't wait for some relaxing private land in ga this weekend, I'm frustrated to say the least.

everyone I talk to is saying that they are henned up bad, or they haven't even gotten started yet.... definately gonna be a late transition this year, figure it will get good in another 2-3 weeks.

duckaholic25

I have been listening here in north west la for about two weeks now and have only heard two. I went to a spot the past two mornings and didn't hear a thing, but saw tracks and strut marks. I think they are getting smart.

fsu33952

I have hunted everyday except for the first morning. Heard on or two gobbles except for Sunday at about 930 I got one to gobble 4 times.went back to the same place on Monday and he gobbled about a dozen times and flew out and walked off gobbling. He gobbled about 20 times total. Went back on Tuesday and he told the news about 30 times on the roost,
flew out and hit the ground about 100 yards away just over the hill. Called to him twice and he come in on a string. I think unless you are right where they are flying to right now you are going have a rough time. I heard 5 different turkeys today and one of them gobbled 15 or 20 times on the roost and twice in the ground. This is in Talladega county.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: RAJ on March 20, 2013, 10:22:10 AM
Well, it's bad enough that they are supposed to have a picture in the paper tomorrow of a hunter who claims to have heard one gobble this morning but he has to pass a lie detector test first.  :funnyturkey:
Your problem is that Guess Who killed all the turkeys in Alabama!! There aren't any left!! :o ;D

Flydown

BamaProud

No one has heard anything on our farm in Washington county yet.
Save the Little ones for the Little Ones.

Xcal1ber

I think it is because of the late winter we are having. I don't know about the temps in the deeper south, but here in Kentucky, it has been cold! Well colder than it usually is. I heard my first gobbles of the year on the 19th of this month, so they are a little behind this year. I think as your south boys season progresses, the gobbling will get better.
  I personally like this weather better than the mild spring we had last year (In my area) because last year the birds was pretty much gobbled out and the underbrush was so thick, I called several into 30 yards and couldnt even see to shoot them. I think this year will be a good calling year for my area.
He shouldn't ought done'nat........ He dead.

Hooksfan

My brother in Southeast Louisiana has yet to hear a bird gobble this year between this weekend and youth weekend when he took his son or on any preseason scouting trips.  This time last year, they had already killed three birds between the two of them.

Hooksfan

Update:  Guess they don't have to gobble to kill em.  I got the text this evening with my bro and the bird he killed this evening.  Still no gobbles.

Flydown

We are hearing a lot of roost gobbles but not much on the ground. Worked these guys all morning, went and ate some lunch and got back to it and finally got them to break from their hens. Not a single gobble since they flew down, Dead at 5:30 pm

BrowningGuy88

Quote from: BamaProud on March 24, 2013, 07:01:53 AM
No one has heard anything on our farm in Washington county yet.

I am hunting Washinigton County and it has been tough. I have now called in 12 gobblers. I killed a super jake Friday morning and he gobbled his head off until I blew it off. Then Saturday morning I had my predator hunting partner who had never turkey hunted before with me and I called in 2 gobblers that only gobbled once between them. 

This is the hardest I have ever had to hunt to bring turkeys in. A lot of scouting this year has paid off in that I know where the turkeys are and it is a good thing because they darn sure ain't gobbling yet!

Burney Mac

My first trip to bama was a bust. Six days of hard hunting with only hearing two birds the whole time. My buddy said it was the worst he had seen since he's been hunting down there. The reports were the same from all around us. SLOW.
"It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward."