Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How Bad Is The Hunting IN South Alabama Right Now?

Started by R AJ, March 20, 2013, 10:22:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

R AJ

Well, it's bad enough that they are supposed to have a picture in the paper tomorrow of a hunter who claims to have heard one gobble this morning but he has to pass a lie detector test first.  :funnyturkey:

Since March 15 it has been very spotty and or none at all. I heard one the other morning gobble about 30 times and that is about 30 more gobbles than others have heard in some pretty fair turkey woods.
Maybe it is the time for the turkey lull or whatever. This is one of the driest opening week seasons I can remember and that covers 39+ years.
Nothing to do but get out there and give a try tomorrow. They have got to succumb to my seductive calling at some point- Like the day after season goes out perhaps. :z-dizzy:

FL-Boss

I'm sure they are still out there.   Give it some time... things can change real fast from one day to the next.

redarrow

Sounds like this past deer season for me.Hope the turkey co operate .Stay on em something is bound to break.

savedbygrace

Im in south bama as well and yes the action is very very dry. Ive been 4 mornings and heard zero birds. I was blessed to kill a good bird saturday morning but he never gobbled either. We still have large groups of hens (10-15) that havent broken up into smaller groups yet. All i know to do is keep on keeping on.

BrowningGuy88

I have called in 5 gobblers and 3 jakes. Called in one long beard and 3 jakes youth Saturday and they wouldn't break the 40 yard line. Called in 4 long beards together opening morning and I didn't have a clear shot and neither did my granddad.

Out of those 8 gobblers I have heard exactly 1 (ONE!!!) turkey gobble 1 time! The turkeys are there, but they are not gobbling!

MiamiE

I have a friend heading to his lease in the Brantley area. Hopefully they're gobbling this weekend for you all!

Gamechaser

I have been Selma since last Thursday. It was very spotty on a place with a lot of turkeys. Got lucky enought to get 1 fired up Saturday and 1 Sunday. And extremely lucky to kill both of them. It seemed to be getting better yesterday morning, but I had to head back to Arkansas. Good luck, I think it will get better and better with each day.

redleg06

I've seen significantly more turkey than I've heard in Central Bama over the last 3 weeks.

I killed one opening morning that gobbled once. I MISSED one this morning that gobbled 3 times :TrainWreck1:

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one not hearing much. I moved to Bama last year from Texas and was starting to get worried that the stories about these old tight lipped Eastern's was all true...and then some.

alclark2

I hope they flip a switch and start gobblin this weekend!
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

arrowslanger

I hunt southeast Alabama.   (Houston County)......seen and heard gobbling every day last three days......but they won't play........yesterday morning had one gobble his head off, but just wouldnt cooperate.

BHMTitan

Very little gobbling for me in Shelby county.  I don't think the weather for this coming weekend is gonna help.

dirtnap

TRKYHTR

I heard they are supposed to turn it on next week. At least I hope because thats when I will be down there. LOL

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

surehuntsalot

slow here in central Ms. too,and the weather this weekend isn't going to help
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

B-Rad1

Hey guys first post here,  after 30 years of chasing birds this is the first time I'm scratching my head for opening weekend here in Louisiana. I scout every morning before heading to work for the last three weeks and heard one gobble. Usually for opening weekend I've got 5-6 different birds to pick from but this year it's a different story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk