turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Spring Break beaver Hunt

Started by BamaProud, March 20, 2013, 03:57:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BamaProud

Not what you are thinking ;) but Now that I have your attention. 

No turkey activity on the farm so we focused on the Beavers for an afternoon.

We have had a Beaver problem on the farm.  Best guess there were 7 of them.  Over the past 6 months we've shot 4 and broken their dam 3 times. Each time they repaired it within a day or two.  We launched an all out assault over the weekend. 

Their dam backed about 2-3 feet of water up across about 8 acres including one of our food plots. It was 2 feet above water level in places and ran about 300 yards long. 

5 of us with shovels axes and picks broke it in about a dozen places with gaps as wide as 3o feet.  The water dropped a foot in 3 hours and it was nearly dry the next morning.

Next we burned them out with 2 people waiting with shotguns.

Gregg got pretty hot in the stand and the ladder caught fire.  :)

The fire probably wasn't necessary since we could easily get the tractor in there, but hey we got to have a big fire.

2 came out 1 got shot(no body recovered) but he flopped a bit before sinking.  He might not be dead but he didn't have a good day.  So there might be 1 or 2 left, but they have a LOT of work ahead if they want to rebuild.  Gonna check on them in a few days.
Save the Little ones for the Little Ones.

Mike Honcho

I've got a similar problem starting on my land...gotta get on it before it gets out of hand.

tomstopper

This sounds like one of the Duck Dynasty episodes. Si & Phil Robertson would be proud.....  :boon:

redarrow

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: The ladder caught fire. Good gracious . Still sounds like a lot of work resulting in a lot of fun.Beavers are cool as long as you don't mind being flooded out.Can you use TNT on the dams ?

AUDoubleBeard

:TooFunny: Those dang beavers can be trouble!

Clif Owen

I know some guys that would be proud too..they were out one night in a deer stand with a spotlight hooked to a car battery shooting the beavers with high powered rifles...by the way..a 30-06 echoes forever across those swamps at 10 pm...I was camped near there listening and wondering just what was taking place. A wonder every law enforcement guy for 20 miles wasn't there to investigate.

Sand Man

I was expecting some scantly clad beach pictures.  I miss college spring breaks.   ;D

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

mnturkey

Sounds like fun, they can do a lot of dammage.
SEMPER FI

BrowningGuy88

Quote from: Sand Man on March 20, 2013, 11:07:45 AM
I was expecting some scantly clad beach pictures.  I miss college spring breaks.   ;D

Don't we all... :drool: :drool: :drool:

beagler

Quote from: tomstopper on March 20, 2013, 07:35:24 AM
This sounds like one of the Duck Dynasty episodes. Si & Phil Robertson would be proud.....  :boon:
+1
Never Misses

gatrapper

I've never had a beaver problem.  At least a problem that I couldn't fix :goofball: :goofball:

"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

HARDCORE

I wish it was that easy for a buddy of mine, his property is adjacent to the Black Warrior river in Hale county. Over a two year period we managed to trap and or kill over a hundred of those worthless bAssTuRds.

It's nothing to see 20-30 just before sunset, I guess with the river bordering his property he'll never get rid of them. It was a lot of fun when we first started hunting and trapping but after all the time we've put into it and with little to no change in flooding and the tree devastation, it's gotten old.

HC 

VaTuRkStOmPeR

You've got your priorities all messed up.

You only get 4 or 5 collegiate spring breaks depending on how long you want to lengthen the process.

You're hunting the wrong beaver, man!

BamaProud

Quote from: redarrow on March 20, 2013, 10:17:37 AM
:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: The ladder caught fire. Good gracious . Still sounds like a lot of work resulting in a lot of fun.Beavers are cool as long as you don't mind being flooded out.Can you use TNT on the dams ?

Can I?  I suppose.  You got some? :)  We could probably hire someone to do it, but I don't think I can legally do it myself.  Having someone else do it wouldn't be any fun!  :toothy12:

BamaProud

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on March 20, 2013, 11:26:10 PM
You've got your priorities all messed up.

You only get 4 or 5 collegiate spring breaks depending on how long you want to lengthen the process.

You're hunting the wrong beaver, man!

...I'm 15+ years beyond that kind of Spring Break. :)