OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Hunting updates. Who's hunting and hows it going?

Started by bornagain64, March 19, 2013, 06:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor2

Busted one yesterday morning. Hit sunrise service this morning then was off to the woods. No gobbling this morning and rain. Was gonna sit tight in blind for while but gotta few things to do before we leave out for work tommorow on the road so back to chores.
Strutstopper

timberjack86

Went a little while this morning and heard a few on the roost on the opposite side of the road on another property I have permission to hunt. I cant go tommorro but I will be on the opposite side of the road   next chance I get.

jarbo03

One more day and I will finally be hunting. Taking my nephew for youth season on Thursday, so excited, have a nice bird scouted out.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

bornagain64

Went on a hunt yesterday a buddy was drawn for. I went out Saturday and located some birds, so I knew where they were. Well snuck in quietly, crossed the river, everything was perfect. But no birds, heard one gobble way off. Set up and sat all day, until 1:00.

Nothing. I could not get off work any more, so I told my neighbor were the birds where. He went there this morning and heard the bird gobble right were I told him it would be. He worked the bird for a while, but I think he got busted and saw the bird running off.

Not been a good year yet. My best 2 hunts are coming up, just have to hope no one else has gotten to them yet. I have a lot of videos of several nice birds in the area.

John

timberjack86

Been hunting a river bottom the last few mornings. Seems to me whatever side of the river I am on the birds are on the opposite side. No worries though our breeding season hasn't really started yet. Birds aren't very vocal and still grouped up.

neverstopchasin

yeah thats why i dont care for huntin the bottom end at woods timberjack, they always on the other side of one them creeks or will be one one side on roost then fly down on other side. boss man aint said nothin bout workin sat and i hope he dont

bornagain64

Went out today, to my" best hunt of the year". Nothing!!!!!!
Did not hear any gobbles, any hens, nothing.
Did see some new trail tape and bright eyes and also saw a hunter pretty close to the area.
I am afraid the area was hit hard on the previous 3 hunts.

If it was not for bad luck, I would have no luck at all.
BUT, that can all change in a moment. I will back at it tomorrow, gonna try a different spot.

John

neverstopchasin

hope the boss man dont need volunteers sat cause i bout the only  one that aint volunteered yet. this wk end is lookin to be good here so far and the birds are fired up here but starting to get henned up

jarbo03

Been away with no internet for a few days. Season opens tomorrow, gonna pass and go Thurs and Fri.  80° today, high of 42 with rain tomorrow, good day to work.

timberjack86

Quote from: jarbo03 on April 09, 2013, 08:48:25 PM
Been away with no internet for a few days. Season opens tomorrow, gonna pass and go Thurs and Fri.  80° today, high of 42 with rain tomorrow, good day to work.

Good luck Kill a monster!

Trevor2

Had one bird hammering at any sound in the woods this morning. I got to close and think i spooked him. But gave him two hours to cool off and never could locate him again. Got a bird to gobble (full gobble) after that and ended up calling in a strutting jake with that full gobble and 5 more. The strutter took a dirt nap jake or not lol Wanna act like a big boy Ill treat ya like one
Strutstopper

neverstopchasin

called one up in pine/briar  thicket this mornin to 40 yards and never could getta shot to save my life. he had a rope on him draggin the ground just bout

timberjack86

Watched 3 gobblers get with hens 75 yards from me this morning on land I don't have permission to hunt. Called up a coyote but he made me out before I could shoot him in the face.

nogoodreezen

Confusing weekend to say the least. On Saturday the birds were hot and gobbling at everything. I got close on three different birds and my buddy killed a nice one. Today......crickets. We hunted all day with no luck.  I heard one bird gobble early way over on another farm and then I heard him get shot. After several miles,a bunch of ticks, and no gobbles I came in with my tail tucked between my legs. What the heck happened? Hopefully I'll get to hunt a couple evenings this week and I'll be back at it all next weekend. Good luck guys.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Trevor2

Went with my dad sunday morning to my great grandpa old farm (which isnt in the family anymore, but we got permisiion to hunt it again finally) he seen six longbeards strutting in a field sat morning. We got settled in and only heard one bird close. So just before he flew down I gave him a soft tree yelp to let him know I was there. After he flew down, nothing tight lipped. Dad sat there bc he seen them at 10 am the morning before and I got out of the blind and went to walking. I just cant stand to deer hunt a turkey. I walked till bout 930 when I rounded a corner on the old logging road and there stood a strutter at 30 yards. CHOKE!!! I missed bigger than life. Im sure he would have scored more than #1 too. Henned up pretty bad right now here. No talking after flydown.
Strutstopper