turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Bird down (north florida)

Started by Muzzy61, March 19, 2013, 10:00:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muzzy61

Lucky enough to get one down Monday morning. He was 19 lbs. had a 10 1/8 " beard and right spur was 1" with the left spur being a rounded off nub. He came in to a Hook's bronze glass call.
I think it was the same bird that my buddy and i tried to shoot on video opening moring. It ended up being one of those deals when he could shoot, i couldn't get him in the camera and when I had him in frame he couldn't shoot.
So Monday went old school solo without the camera.

Sorry, about the picture size. First time I've added a picture and still learning how to size.

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

jblackburn

Congrats on the bird!  It looks like you laid the smack down on him!  That head looks tore up!  What  you shooting and how far was he?
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

marshboy

One of the pain in the rear parts of spring turkey hunting in Iowa is the length of the seasons.
Season 1 is four days long.
Season 2 is 5 days long.
Season 3 is 7 days long.
I believe MN and WI have a similair season structure.
It is not until Season 4 that we get any length of time (3 weeks) to hunt.
My concern with Season 1 is that the birds may still be in winter groups, thus the entire First Season could be a wash :(
Last year during Season 1, the woods were already "Fourth Season" green...it was way ahead.
Greg

kansas hooks

Congrats on taking a nice bird.

JVA54

Muzzy61

Thanks guy's.  I used 3 1/2" Federals, #5's.

He was only 17 yards when i shot. Honestly at that close of a range and as shook up as I was. I was scared I was going to miss completely.
He came across a 20 acre field, stutting and gobbling most the way. At about 100 yards he veered to my left to the feild edge out of my sight. It took about 10 minutes for him to close the distance to me. I heard him drumming for about 3 or 4 minutes before i could see him again. When i did see him he had stepped out from behind a bush to my left at 17 yards. He was in full strutt looking it my decoy out in front me. He stood there for what seemed like forever and would not lift his head. I some how managed a soft single yelp, and he gobbled ( i about lost it). Before for he could tuck his head back I shot ( i think it was reflex, don't really remember pulling the tigger).   Very exciting hunt.

FL-Boss

AUDoubleBeard

Sounds like you had a great hunt. Congrats!

longspur

Muzzy61

Quote from: FL-Boss on March 19, 2013, 11:02:59 AM
nice! what part of N Fla ?
.          I'm from lake city. The bird came from between Gainesville & Lacrosse.

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

tomstopper

Congrats on a nice looking bird....

captin_hook

mnturkey

congratulations on a nice bird, sounds like the hunt was a lot of fun.
SEMPER FI

turkey slayer