turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How many slates/strikers do you carry?

Started by chrisg2709, March 19, 2013, 12:13:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisg2709

How many and what is the best sounding wood?

jblackburn

Two pots, slate and glass.

Strikers: Hickory, persimmon, diamond wood, rosewood, rosewood with a carbon tip, walnut

I have more, but they don't always go with me.

As far as combos, 95% of the time I will grab my hickory and slate.  I just love that combo.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

outdoors

MY FIRST TRIP OUT THIS PAST WEEKEND I TOOK
MY SNAKEWOOD FOR MY CERAMIC AND SLATE
                        :OGani:
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Rodd Gunn

I take a copper/glass pot and a slate pot for softer calling. Strikers vary walnut, African Blackwood, locust, and cherry wood. Depends how they sound to me when the time comes.

Gooserbat

I usualy cary two regular pots of some sort and a Bill's Wee Gripper that sounds like an ol' jet slate for some soft stuff.  I try not to take more than six strikers.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

magnoliagamecalls

3 to 5 calls (slate, glass, aluminum, ceramic, titanium)  at least 3 strikers (always a hickory, laminated, ?)

TauntoHawk

4 pots and 6-8 strikers

Purpleheart, Paduak, osage are the first three strikers out.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

M,Yingling

Depends how far i plan to hike into the woods ,,, carry lite 2 pots and 4 strikers ,,if not going far ill do 4 pots
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

barryboy08

Two Slates, Four Strikers.  I do not always use them on the same hunt most times I save the one for those special occasions or rainy days.

Chris Downs

2-3 pots(slate, aluminum, crystal/glass) and at least 3 strikers(hickory, purple heart, ebony, laminated).

Yoder409

One call.......... a slate over glass.

2 strikers....... a Dyomndwood and a flared mesquite
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

lonnie sneed jr.

A Hot Hen Slate,  Green Glass Call, and a small glass Sweet Jenny. Strikers Red Wood, Willow, Maple, and Hickory, all in a corn cob.

:OGturkeyhead: :OGturkeyhead:

eddie234

I just bought some custom strikers at the end of last year, i have 5. 3 pots from woodhaven, cherry crystal, slate and won a vintage hen :) also have a custom ceramic.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

chrisg2709

Quote from: eddie234 on March 21, 2013, 10:49:11 AM
I just bought some custom strikers at the end of last year, i have 5. 3 pots from woodhaven, cherry crystal, slate and won a vintage hen :) also have a custom ceramic.

How do you like the cherry crystal? Any specific striker work best with it?

eddie234

Cherry crystal sounds really good. One of the strikers i got was a yellow heart, it sounds really good.