OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey Vests are Overrated and To Expensive

Started by heathwesley, March 18, 2013, 02:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullChoke

About 20 years ago, I went shopping for my first turkey vest and decided then that if I had to pay that price for one, I would either not have one or I would just sew one myself. That's what I did. I found a good pattern, bought a few yards of the hottest camo pattern on the market then: Mossy Oak Full Foliage, bought some polyester thread, designed a few custom details and extra pockets and jumped in. It took two evenings and it turned out fantastic. I will pull that vest, which is still in great shape, out of the closet opening morning and we will head out to the woods together again. I have gone through three guns since then, but that old vest just keeps on going.

Over rated? Too expensive? Not this one.

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

M Sharpe

I've hunted with and without a vest down through my 30 years of turkey hunting. Also tried several different types. But the one I always come back to is my Buck Lick Creek one. You can, and I have, set up anywhere to work a gobbler. Needs no tree to lean against. I think Bass Pro is selling the newer versions of them. Like others have said, just pick it up and go!! Very few turkeys make it to the bag, since it is packed with water, tp, snacks, flashlight and such. I bought a leather turkey tote from Kenny knisley this year. Going to give that a try.
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

Gobblerjim

I have elite 3 I've hunted with for years. Decided this year to go lighter with a small fanny pack and a gobbler lounger. I carry a 32oz water bottle inside chair when closed. Fanny pack has enough room for 2pot calls. Snacks. TP, 1st aid kit, mouth calls, phone, etc...clip on thermocell.

The only thing I'll miss is the bag to carry bird.

Rio Fan

I was looking at the Bass Pro Shops spring catalog last night and I noticed an Under Armor turkey vest for $199.  I'm guessing the majority of that price is the under armor logo on it.  I always wear a vest, I wouldn't hunt without one.  I love my Super Elite 3 vests.

turkaholic

Every once in a while I think I don't need this stupid heavy vest, or I get a rain day and try to hunt without it. That's when the trouble starts. What about my tags and license and oh I lost a glove or the batteries died on my gps, or I'm hungry or thirsty. Or crap I forgot my toilet paper! Not goin there no more. If I'm chasing gobblers the vest is comin. I don't want to be handicapped doing my favorite thing in the world. Can't imagine not having all my weapons at my beckoning call. My only problem is the direction vests are heading in. When you find one you like buy two ,because they won't make that model very long. I like it simple no lounger rig for me just lots of well set up pockets and a good seat. I like the buddy loc system where you can clip on different pouches for say gps , radio ,water or call cases. Just try and find that feature in a vest now it's not easy. There are a lot of vest out there but not many I like. I wish there were a custom vest company out there, it may be worth the cost to get what you want and have it built to last. But then that's just me.
live to hunt hunt to live

spaightlabs

I started reading this post and quotedt he second poster so I could agree cuz that guy thinks the exact someway I do.  Then I realized that was my post I was agreeing with.   :z-guntootsmiley:

My vest is 10 years old, might get a new one this year, but I kinda hate to have to learn a new setup.

turkeygod4

Just got my new one in the mail. I have used a backpack for years. Just decided it was time to switch back. I almost went with the Ol Tom vest but did not like the one size fits most style so I went with the Cabelas

stilker

My lightweight bottomland vest is an essential piece of gear, that goes with my lightweight bottomland shotgun. Where one goes, the other follows. Three reasons. In this order 1. Game bag 2. Simple cushion 3. Minimal pockets for shells, a crow call, toilet paper, and 3 diaphragms. Absolutely necessary, in my opinion, for mobile ridge running in Middle TN. The hills that I hunt, the game bag is easily the number one reason.

TURKEYWHACKER

Back in the day I didn't use a vest. Of course all I carried was a Lynch"s box call. When I started to accumulate more gear, my pants and jacket pockets soon became maxed out. Over time I decided I didn't like walking around with a bunch of stuff bulging out my pants cargo pockets. Enter my first turkey vest. I'm on my fourth one now and never leave it behind. I wore out my first one (cheapie) but my second was given to my Dad who in turn passed it along to a friend when I gave him number three the season before last. Kinda cool meeting up after the hunt and seeing old friends (vests) again.

owlhoot

I HAVE 7 or 8, got my first in late 80's i think. a 10x brand , first one i ever saw.
Never hunt without one. Bought my son one when he was 7. Last year he wore my original 10X, 16 now.
Don't seem to fit me anymore  ::)
Was proud to see it back in the woods. That has carried a lot of gear and TURKEY'S.
28LB and bigger it gets a bit hard to zip though. I get all wind up when that happens!
Carrying a tom out with the spurs digging into your hand, beak bouncing of your keister  ???
A turkey vest is as much of a symbol for turkey hunting as a turkey gun, choke ,seat, or turkey loads in my opinion. :morning:

VA_Birdhunter

I love my Mossy Oak Super Elite III Hybrid Turkey Vests....been using it for many season and can't do without it!

God Bless
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

RutnNStrutn

I mainly turkey hunt down here in Dixie, so a lot of times during our seasons, vests are just too darned hot! I have a Primos Gobbler Vest, but don't wear it that often. Most of the time I wear my Beard Buster Belt.

I added a couple of extra pouches on it to carry all the stuff that I don't use most of the time. :lol:  It is comfortable, doesn't heat me up or restrict my movement. About the only thing it doesn't do is carry my decoys.
It's a bit pricey these days, but back when I got mine it was a bargain!

Cove

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on March 18, 2013, 03:37:26 PM
I hunt 25-40 days each spring and that vest is with me every one of them.

The way you feel about your gobbler lounger is the way i feel about my vest.  I wouldn't hunt without one but I have no use for lugging around a chair, lol.

This ^^

Hunting 50+/- days a spring I need all the help I can get in the 'not forgetting something' area. And I ain't carrying a chair. . . .

Hooks' n' Beards'

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on January 26, 2014, 12:12:04 PM
I mainly turkey hunt down here in Dixie, so a lot of times during our seasons, vests are just too darned hot! I have a Primos Gobbler Vest, but don't wear it that often. Most of the time I wear my Beard Buster Belt.

I added a couple of extra pouches on it to carry all the stuff that I don't use most of the time. :lol:  It is comfortable, doesn't heat me up or restrict my movement. About the only thing it doesn't do is carry my decoys.
It's a bit pricey these days, but back when I got mine it was a bargain!
i am debating on picking one of these up for when i am bow hunting for turkeys,i recently picked up a Tenzing 1140 for spot n stalk bow hunting for turkeys..Also come late season,i also find myself wearing my vest less and less...

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Hooks' n' Beards' on January 26, 2014, 02:25:43 PMi am debating on picking one of these up for when i am bow hunting for turkeys,i recently picked up a Tenzing 1140 for spot n stalk bow hunting for turkeys..Also come late season,i also find myself wearing my vest less and less...
Yes, and late season I find myself carrying less calls and other stuff with me. I really like my belt. I wear it over a vest about 95% of the time.