OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey Vests are Overrated and To Expensive

Started by heathwesley, March 18, 2013, 02:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flintlock

I have one that I picked up for $20 about 10 years ago or so and I freakin' love it.  Only two straps over the shoulder  (don't get too hot and it is light) with a big zip pocket on each side and a back pouch for the turkey.  Just unclip the bag at the top, throw the gobbler in there and clip it between his feet and he'll ride all the way back just as pretty as you please.   

Good luck
Wess
If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

Hooks' n' Beards'

i have went through 5 different ones and finally found this one and love it,i have modified it a bit,sewed a clip on the back for the seat.I have the others hanging in my basement,i really do not think that they are expensive,some don't like or need them...H'n'B'

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/59167

lonnie sneed jr.

I like my vest. Its about shot, its been patched, sewed, and patched again. Wish I could find one just like it. 

:OGturkeyhead: :OGturkeyhead:

Old Gobbler

I went years and years with out using a vest , I think from about 1988 to about 2005, then I started using a Primos vest , then I got myself a bass pro shops one, it has a internal seal fold out type with the straps , it's a bit heavy but I can set up anywhere with it , in a brush pile , anywhere

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Hooks' n' Beards'

Quote from: Old Gobbler on January 23, 2014, 05:10:57 PM
I went years and years with out using a vest , I think from about 1988 to about 2005, then I started using a Primos vest , then I got myself a bass pro shops one, it has a internal seal fold out type with the straps , it's a bit heavy but I can set up anywhere with it , in a brush pile , anywhere
i have both models of the Primos vests and like them both...H'n'B'

chatterbox

I love my Super Elite, and never go into the turkey woods without it.

Tail Feathers

I've tried going vestless.  Tried a fanny pack (not good for box call). 
At my home spot, some days I'll toss a bottle of water in the bag with my Gobbler Lounger, take my mouth calls and hit the woods.
Most of the time, and especially when I'm hunting new ground, I like the vest to have a few items at hands for whatever I may encounter.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Eric Gregg

I am going to play along
I like hunting with a vest. I can put all my stuff in it and never take it out. Slide it on, ready to go.
Also the padding for my seat is a life saver. I take my fold up seat and put it in the bag for the bird and I am ready for a great morning. Also can pack food, drink, fruit and other goodies to snack on.
One place where I hunt I walk a good ways and don't want to have to make trips back and forth to truck. Well worth the 60-70 dollars in my opinion.

2much2loud

Quote from: Old Gobbler on January 23, 2014, 05:10:57 PM
I have the same one from bass pro shops and love the seat feature but hate the weight and pocket design but that seat makes it worth it

30_06

I either use a vest or my backpack. I hate digging thru jacket or pant pockets for gear......might not make sense but that's the way it is for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tnturkey

I got a good deal on an ol tom. its very comfortable. it is my most used tool more so then my gun when I take other people I don't carry a gun. I have 50 dollars in my vest. that's not much for something so practical as a turkey vest. that's just me. It carries a lot of stuff and all I have to do is zip it up throw it in the truck and then throw it on when Im ready. I will always own one. and they last a long time I have one that's retired now that lasted 8 years. for a 100 dollars that only a little over 10 dollars a year. that's worth every penny to me. to each their own though. what ever floats your boat and what ever works for you.

CASH

Saw earlier that Under Armour has a vest now. Seen it anywhere from $154 to $200!
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

tnturkey

I saw that to and it seems like it wouldn't even hold that much it may be comfortable but im out on it. I like ol tom and cabelas they are very comfortable and nice vest

WV Ridge Reaper

The Under Armour vest looks like it was made by a guy who has never turkey hunted.I am a Under Armour fan,I showed it to the women and she asked if I wanted it...No thanks.

I have a Ol Tom..Only vest I have ever had but I like it a lot and it's priced fair.

Sent from West By God Virginia.

WildSpur

I could not imagine hunting without me tactical tat'r.  The seat, the removable game bag, and the ease of access when sitting down.  Best vest I ever owned.  I like to run and run and with all the adjustment straps the vest becomes part of me.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less