turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey Vests are Overrated and To Expensive

Started by heathwesley, March 18, 2013, 02:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heathwesley

I don't necessarily pack light in the turkey woods but I can carry everything I need without a turkey vest - Especially an expensive one.  I think hunters espically new ones get caught up in thinking they need a turkey hunting vest.  I sling gun and decoys on my back, cased mouth calls down a pocket or in my hat, a slate call or two in the cargo pocket of my pants and go.  If I have my box with me many times I just hold it in my hand or slip it the side pocket of my decoy bag.  No need for a $100.00 vest with 8000 pockets.  Just sayin.  Save that money and buy a nice new custom call, or if you don't have a gobbler lounger - Get one!  The extra weight of the chair is well worth it once you get to your set-up.  Not to mention it greatly increases the places you can set-up. 
Heath Smith - Illinois Turkey Hunter

spaightlabs

Ok, I'll play.   :goofball:

I love my vest and I couldn't live without it. Everything I need for a hunt is in it.  It will stay in it.  Forever.  When I am done with a hunt, I take my vest off.  When I go on my next hunt, I put my vest on.  I never forget my tags.  Zip ties.  Poop tickets. Calls.  Conditioning tools.  Face mask.  Extra shell or 2.  Limb saw.  Pen.  Bug dope. Or anything else.  It is always all in one place.  Doesn't matter if I get up 5 hours early or 30 minutes late.  Grab and go.  Of course, if I forget the vest entirely I am hosed, but it ain't happened yet and I've been a little "wobbly" a few times.

I'm gonna hunt 4 states this year.  I don't have to think about what to take each time.  It's packed.

Hooray for vests.  Buy the best one ya can - it will last you 10 or more years.

archdriver

I have  been wearing  army BDU jacket that i  cut the  sleeves  off  to  make  a  vest.  it  has
two big lower pockets and  two  chest  pockets also.   I  sewed on two  1 inch pockets at  my  waist  to put a coiuple of  mouth calls.     i  like it  because the  camo is colorfast,  durable fabric
(milspec)  and camo pattern of  woodland green never out of  style. 

I also use  it  for bow hunting  and  as a dove hunting  vest./

cost  about  $18
ArchDriver

VaTuRkStOmPeR

I hunt 25-40 days each spring and that vest is with me every one of them.

The way you feel about your gobbler lounger is the way i feel about my vest.  I wouldn't hunt without one but I have no use for lugging around a chair, lol.

turkey harvester

Got to same the same thing, wouldn't go to the woods without it.
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Gooserbat

Ok I guess to each their own but I really like my vest.  I carries all my gear with the exception of my gun.  I don't have to worry about how to carry my belongings or taking stuff in and out of my pockets becaus "it's in my vest"  Just say'n
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

spaightlabs

I was thinking more about this.

Almost everything could be declared to be too expensive and over rated by someone.

Dave Smith decoys - oh yeah.   But I love mine.  Foam works too...
Benelli M2.  I love mine, but millions of Turks have died in front of less expensive pump guns and single shots.
Double bull blind.  I could sit on the ground, sometimes I do, but sometimes the blind is the shiznit.
Custom calls.  Lots of birds killed with cheap calls, or no calls if you are a voice caller.
Fancy aftermarket chokes.  The full choke that came with the gun would work just fine 75% of the time.

There's an expensive and over rated solution for most everything...

jblackburn

I'll play, too!  :blob10:

I carry a lot of stuff to the turkey woods that I do not "need" but sure make things easier and more comfortable.

I can can make pretty decent yelps, clucks, purrs, gobbles, crow calls, and owl hoots with my natural voice (not kidding), so I really do not need any calls.  I've killed birds wearing military surplus camo and old work boots, so I really don't need any of my Natgear or my Muck boots.

I have an old single shot Iver Johnson Champion that throws a pretty good pattern of 2 3/4 #4 Remington Express loads to 20 yards, so I really don't need my 870 with an Indian Creek or my 835 with an XX full choke and 3 1/2 inch mags. 

That being said, I'll be hunting 4 (maybe 5) states this year and logging a lot of miles on my truck and my feet, so I'll wear my comfortable boots and fancy camo.  I might have a bird that hangs up at 40 yards, so I'll carry one of my pump shotguns.  My throat hurts after yelping and crow calling too much, so I'll have my Gooserbat Calls. 

Those calls will be organized and protected in my turkey vest!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

jhcats10

The best part of a vest is sliding a big bird in the back pocket and packing him out. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

irishff727

I bought a vest just for the pure fact that it was on sale and had a good amount of pockets and after the few times I've been out in the woods with it wouldn't trade it for the world

tomstopper

I love my vest but know a couple of guys who don't wear one. I like the fact that everything has it place and I can find it so much easier. Also you don't have to unpack it at night like you would have to your pants/shirts (especially to dry if wet). Saves me time in the morning when I am already waking up EARLY......

mudhen

Like someone already said, I don't 'need' most of the crap I carry around.

One thing I learned about hunting at a young age, 'need' and 'want' are two totally different things....

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Mike Honcho

Good topic...interesting to hear other hunters thoughts.  Here's mine:

Hunted for my first 4 years of serious turkey hunting with a little pack on my belt that held a box call, mouth calls , five shells inside, pot calls etc. etc. Maybe HS Strut brand?  Worked pretty good...run and gun etc. Gave that to my 13 year old grandson to use this year.

Bought an inexpensive , maybe $39 vest last year at a Walmart...wow what a difference...mainly for me it was the ease of carrying stuff...decoys in the game bag and old tom and decoys in game bag on way out if good lord permitted...plus as others have mentioned...I pick up the vest it has everything I need in it no second guessing if I have something ...plus a comfy seat.

I will probably succumb to the "expensive" vest sickness next season but that's another thread for the future!

Skeeterbait

My vest started life as an old Cabela's ultimate vest.  It has been highly modified since.  I have replaced the straps with padded treestand straps, I have sewed leafy camo strips on it all over, I have added padding to the seat cushon, I have sewed additional pockets in the game bag to hold a turkey tote and rain gear poncho, I have added a pad inside the game bag between my back and the tree, etc.  It is a conglomeration and looks throughly worn out and ready for the garbage bag but it is still highly functional.  Everything has it's specific place and after 15 years with this vest I don't even have to think of where something is.  I put it on when I leave the truch and take it off when I get back and I never have to empty my pockets or forget where I laid something when I did.  It has no special features, just lots of tailored pockets where everything has a place.  It is tattered and faded and I would never hunt without it.

BrowningGuy88

I have a Wal-Mart clearance special I bought several years ago and I like having all my stuff in one spot! I will have to say though that if I have to choose between the vest and my lounger, the lounger goes every time!

I do hope to upgrade my vest next year to a nicer model.