Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Slow MS opener

Started by honker22, March 18, 2013, 10:10:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

honker22

I hunted my tail off Fri-Sunday.  I hunted 8 hours Friday and heard one shock gobble at daylight, and called in 2 silent jakes.  Staurday I hunted 2 different tracts and never heard a thing.  Sunday the birds finally did a little talking on the limb.  I heard 4-5 birds, but only 1 that was even remotely close to me.  I got set up withing 100 yards on the limb, could hear him drumming his tail off.  Gave him one of those "first setup of the season, nervous, shaking, attempts at a tree yelp with no response and waited for him to pitch down.  I heard wing beats and gave him 1-2 light yelps with no response.  The next time I heard him, he was about 300 yards away and apparently with his girlfriends.  He answered me twice but that was it for the weekend.  It felt good to finally get in the game on one, but it's still early and the birds need another 10-14 days to start acting right. 

Good luck to those who open up this weekend.  I'm hoping the La opener will be more friendly.
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

hookedspur

Youll get er done .  Good luck
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Woodsman4God

Keep at it and good luck.

BOFF

Yep,

They need a little more time.

I believe Mark and his son shot the only two gobbling birds on the place.  ;D

I didn't hear any this morning, though I wasn't on the farm, but with in 5 miles of it.

God Bless,
David B.

anthonyjhallen

It always seems to take me a day or so to get my turkey legs under me.  I am batting about .225 on opening days.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2