OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Using Jake Decoys?

Started by trippsims, March 14, 2013, 04:29:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trippsims

Do any of you guys use jake decoys a good bit? What are the benefits/disadvantages of them?
I only have experience with hen dekes, and using them is a rare occasion in itself.

Burney Mac

When I hunt out of blind with my dad or with kids I usually use two hen decoys and a jake. Seems to work out pretty good with my experience. I can't say what the difference would have been if I would have only been using hen decoys because I've always had a jake out there. The benefit seems to be that it strikes a nerve with the tom where as a strutter type decoy may make him shy away, or he may come running for a fight. The disadvantage is that some toms seem to shy away from any contact with another male bird (decoy). IF there are a bunch of jakes and the tom has had his rear end kicked he may not be up for another fight. IF you have a group of two year olds then their probably going to want to pick on the little guy. Usually a tom will see a jake with a hen or two and figure it's gonna be easy pickin' to take his ladies.
"It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward."