turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Silent Birds?

Started by ThicketThrasher, March 14, 2013, 12:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThicketThrasher

How often do you guys think that we mess up birds that we never knew were even there? In other words, a bird comes in silent and sees you fumbling around with your calls, getting a drink of water, playing with your cell phone or something like that, and is gone and you never knew he was around. I think it happens way more than we realize. I know that two silent birds busted me last year, not sure how many busted me that I was unaware of. I now try to get hid a well as possible. I rarely set up at the base of a tree, I usually try to find a thick mess of stuff to crawl in when possible. It is one thing that I have found laurel to be good for. I have a hard time being still unless I know there is a bird around, so if I am blind calling or just sitting and listening, I try to conceal myself as best I can.

chcltlabz

Personally, what draws me to turkey hunting is the show.  I want the gobbling, spitting, drumming, strutting fool that makes your heart race so fast you have trouble settling the bead on him.

If I miss a silent gobbler sneaking in trying to steal away a hen because I moved to go find one that's doing it right, I'm OK with that.

Don't get me wrong, I'll hammer one that comes sneaking in too, but if I don't punch a tag because I went on a search for one that's playing the game, that's OK too.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

redleg06

I dont know how many we mess up when we're set up but I think we probably bump a number of them while walking from location to location and moving around.

Particularly in the early part of the season, when there are no leaves on the trees, I think they usually see you before you ever see them.