OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Winchester 1300 12GA 3" Which Loads/Choke

Started by Pin Wheel, March 13, 2013, 10:45:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pin Wheel

New to this site, and I have a winchester 1300 and was looking at the hevi 13 3" 7 shot and also looking at the turkey thug lead shot ,   anyone have any recommendations on these out of this gun?  Is the hevi 13 going to be the better patterning out of these 2 loads?  Which choke tubes are better for these loads? 
Someone told me that winchester had said not to shoot hevishot out of their guns. Just looking for opinions thanks

Old Gobbler

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

ILIKEHEVI-13

:welcomeOG:

I answered your pm? 

And Hevi-13 3" #7's would shoot better than any other load out of your gun like you ask.  The chokes I mentioned should work.  But stick to around .660 and you should be fine. 

Pin Wheel

TnTurk

Here is a pattern I shot last year using a Pure Gold .670 at 40 taped yards using HS 3-2-7.

Pin Wheel

was that from a 1300?  I thought the pure gold choke for that gun was a 660?

ILIKEHEVI-13

They make the Pure Gold in either .660 or .670.  It all depends on your barrel which one will shoot the best. 

http://www.shop.gameacc.net/WINCHESTER-BROWNING-MOSSBERG_c102.htm

ILIKEHEVI-13

When I told you earlier .660 I meant that as a norm.  You may find that if you experiment later on that chokes from .655 to .670 are all gonna work well.  You will also find that some chokes will shoot better at different exit diameters(constrictions) with particular loads vs other chokes.  One brand choke may like .660 and another brand choke may like .670 or maybe even .655.  But I myself wouldn't go tighter than .655.  But I would say .660 to .670 will be a great place to start.  Heck a .665 may even shoot better if you were to have someone like Indian Creek make you one.  You just don't know for sure until you try them.  But like you told me you want to get it right the first time.  And what we discussed should put you in the money.   

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Pin Wheel on March 13, 2013, 10:45:48 PM
New to this site, and I have a winchester 1300 and was looking at the hevi 13 3" 7 shot and also looking at the turkey thug lead shot ,   anyone have any recommendations on these out of this gun?  Is the hevi 13 going to be the better patterning out of these 2 loads?  Which choke tubes are better for these loads? 
Someone told me that winchester had said not to shoot hevishot out of their guns. Just looking for opinions thanks

Welcome. There are a lot of Winchester 1300 shooters out there. The Hevi-13 shells with either #6 or #7 shot will deliver excellent patterns through your gun. They will hold tighter and give you more even/dense patterns through whatever choke you choose.

There are a variety of chokes both brands and exit diameters that will work very well with your gun. I did not see your barrel length and that can make a difference in which choke might pattern best. My readers shoot a variety of chokes and in addition to my personal evaluations, I receive a lot of feedback from them about various combinations.

Brands that work well include the Hevi-13 chokes, Pure Gold, JEB's, Wright's, SSX, Trulock and several others. These chokes have vastly different internal geometry that greatly influence the patterns with their particular design and exit diameters.

I do recommend that you deep clean the bore of your gun, regardless of what choke or ammo choice you make. It allows you to get a good look at the bore and start out "squeaky clean" to see if your particular gun likes a clean or slightly fouled bore.

Again, good to have you here and please let us know if we can be of help.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

paboxcall

I shoot a 1300 with Hevi 3-2-7 through a Jellyhead .660.

Here is a link to pictures of my pattern:

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,18285.0.html

I won't shoot anything else through my 1300 or my H&R single shot, the choke tubes are interchangeable. 

Is lead cheaper?  Yes.  Will the pattern be effective?  Yes.  Is the pattern as dense as Hevi in #7?  No.  Its all personal preference. 
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

irishff727

I have a 1300 and being the cheap guy I am I bought Winchester xx shells in 3 inch and I use a truglo choke. I am sure I am not getting as good of patterns has heavy shot but I get probably 70 to 80% shot placement inside of the ten. Then again maybe my gun just likes Winchester ammo or maybe my gun is the dum dum gun that likes odd things

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: irishff727 on March 14, 2013, 01:48:58 PM
I have a 1300 and being the cheap guy I am I bought Winchester xx shells in 3 inch and I use a truglo choke. I am sure I am not getting as good of patterns has heavy shot but I get probably 70 to 80% shot placement inside of the ten. Then again maybe my gun just likes Winchester ammo or maybe my gun is the dum dum gun that likes odd things

I hope your not saying that your getting 70 to 80% of your shot from a lead load inside the 10" at 40yds.  Correct me if I am wrong what you said. 

irishff727

Sorry yes the yardage was wrong at forty it drops drastically

hosscat

I shoot an indian creek .660 in mine, with megaweight nitros, 251 @40 yrds.  Turkey thugs #6's low 200's @30yrds.  I haven't shot the thugs at 40 yrds yet, but it should still be over 150.