turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

David Halloran Pot Calls

Started by 870BkWht, March 13, 2013, 04:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

870BkWht

I would like the opinions from you guys on this one.  Last year, I bought a Twisted Sister from David Halloran.  I was really impressed with this call.  I have decided I want more, but only going to buy 1 more at a time.  Im really looking at a couple, but knowing already that I have the Twisted Sister, which one would you choose from the following.

Crystal Mistress
Laminated Slate
Sassy Ceramic
Birdseye Maple Aluminum

Ive got a smaller 3'' cherry slate, but I am curious about the laminated slate, and I have wanted a Crystal Mistress for a long time so Im really torn.  I know many of you have the Mistress, but if any of you have run any of the other or own the others, please chime in.

BigEz

I own the aluminum and its a great sounding call.  Haven't tried the ceramic or laminated slate but my father has the spalted maple slate which sounds great also.  If it were me though I would go with the mistress, sounds much clearer than the sister so you'll have two awesome sounding calls and they will sound different. 

ntlchamp

I vote Crystal Mistress.  It's the best sounding call I own and well worth his price.  You probably can't go wrong with any of them.  Good luck with your decision.

Jim

TauntoHawk

Since you already own a Twisted Sister Id go more diverse than getting the Mistress. I love the sound of his slates and they placed really well at the southeastern Comp. I do plan on picking one up myself sometime here but also want a Hot Hen. Im sure his ceramic sound great too, I have a ceramic on order with Houndstooth right now and cant wait for that its an awesome surface.

I would lean toward the slate, theres something about slates thats just natrual and really works the birds.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

longhorn

I bought the twisted sister and the mistress. I also have his aluminum and it is a great call and a good complement to the other two. I found the mistress on sell and ordered one for my son. When the mistress came in and I had a chance to run it I kept the mistress and gave the twisted sister to my son. I love that call. Good luck this year.  Ken

REBELYELL

David makes a killer call. I got the Mistress last year and it produces that "wow " sound. I just got his aluminum call a few days ago and it sounds awesome too with the right striker. Some of the Mistress calls are more raspy than others, pretty close in sound to a less raspy Sister. I would choose aluminum,  ceramic or slate to give you a different hen sound. Any of the three would do the trick, but the aluminum call brings the funk. David and I had this same discussion when I ordered my last call and he suggested the aluminum. I wish I had all of his calls.

Chris Downs

can't go wrong with any of them.  i have the aluminum and the cherry slate.  went to the convention to get a checkered short box and a crystal call.  after playing both the mistress and the sister and listening to halloran's wife and other staffers running his calls, i decided on the sister as it complimented my slate and aluminum better.  the sister was much cleaner sounding and very similar to the front end of my aluminum, so i went with the more raspy all the way through call, which was the sister.  the mistress sounded great also, just too similar to what i already have.  good luck.

savduck

Ben, I own about 5 of those pots.

Id suggest the aluminum or ceramic. The crystal mistress sounds awesome, but you already have the twisted sister crystal. Why not get your self a different sound. You can always go back and get a mistress.

I called in a bird with a halloran ceramic last year.
Georgia Boy

870BkWht

Del, I like the way you think. 

Thanks to all who weighed in.  I still haven't made up my mind, but I certainly appreciate the input.

DBRANNON

The Sister and Mistress are much alike, in my opinion. The Mistress is a great call but I would look into the Aluminum call that David makes. If you don't have a copper or aluminum call, David's aluminum would make a great addition. The aluminum can be extra loud for locating and can produce soft yelps when needed. I have both the Mistress and Aluminum and you will not be disappointed with either call.
Patience, grasshopper.

J Gilbert

The first call I bought from David was the aluminum and birdseye maple, then I had him make me a crystal/slate double sider in a Sugartown Sweetness II pot and my next pot will be ceramic from David.  I think these really will give me all the sounds and pitches that I want in a pot call