Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

What's a guy got to do around this place... ~ Devotion ~ 3/13/13

Started by lightsoutcalls, March 13, 2013, 10:14:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightsoutcalls

On Saturday mornings, I am in my shop by 7:00AM most weeks.  I listen to a program called "The Christian Worldview" when it comes on at 8:00.  This show discusses current issues and culture as they relate to the Bible and its teachings.  Several weeks ago, the host asked why people are resistant to accepting Christ.  After some discussion, he stated in simple language... "because we like our sin, and we like our stuff."  Let's take a look at an example from the Bible.

Mark 10:17-27

The Message (MSG)

To Enter God's Kingdom

17 As he went out into the street, a man came running up, greeted him with great reverence, and asked, "Good Teacher, what must I do to get eternal life?"

18-19 Jesus said, "Why are you calling me good? No one is good, only God. You know the commandments: Don't murder, don't commit adultery, don't steal, don't lie, don't cheat, honor your father and mother."

20 He said, "Teacher, I have—from my youth—kept them all!"

21 Jesus looked him hard in the eye—and loved him! He said, "There's one thing left: Go sell whatever you own and give it to the poor. All your wealth will then be heavenly wealth. And come follow me."

22 The man's face clouded over. This was the last thing he expected to hear, and he walked off with a heavy heart. He was holding on tight to a lot of things, and not about to let go.

23-25 Looking at his disciples, Jesus said, "Do you have any idea how difficult it is for people who 'have it all' to enter God's kingdom?" The disciples couldn't believe what they were hearing, but Jesus kept on: "You can't imagine how difficult. I'd say it's easier for a camel to go through a needle's eye than for the rich to get into God's kingdom."

26 That set the disciples back on their heels. "Then who has any chance at all?" they asked.

27 Jesus was blunt: "No chance at all if you think you can pull it off by yourself. Every chance in the world if you let God do it."

Here was a young man, who, by all outward appearances was a moral, decent guy.  He had followed the religious laws since he was a child.  In our day, that would be like saying he had gone to church since he was a kid and followed the teachings he learned in Sunday school.  He was successful in his job, and had collected some really nice stuff.  He recognized by listening to the teachings of Jesus that something was missing from his life.  He knew that he wanted what Jesus offered.  Jesus recognized sincerity in the heart of the young man... but... he also recognized that the young man was proud of his "stuff" and knew that he clung tightly to it.  Jesus presented a choice to the young man.  Did I mention that he liked his stuff?  The young man turned and walked off, recognizing what he valued most.

We all have things we value, things that we like to show people when they come over to the house...  We've got stuff that we drooled over in a catalog or on a TV show or magazine.  We may have scrimped and saved to get it.  What would we do if Jesus said point blank - "In order to really follow Me the way that you need to... In order to receive the blessings  that I have in store for you... You need to sell that ______ and follow hard after Me." (hard swallow and long uncomfortable silence)  Does God say that we can't have "stuff"?  No... but... He says that when "stuff" comes between our love and service to Him, "stuff" becomes our God. 

Proverbs 23:17-18

New Living Translation (NLT)

17 Don't envy sinners,
    but always continue to fear the Lord.
18 You will be rewarded for this;
    your hope will not be disappointed.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

misfire

Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

Roostem33

That's a good one for me today, thanks Wendell!!!!!

27 Jesus was blunt: "No chance at all if you think you can pull it off by yourself. Every chance in the world if you let God do it."

God Bless,
Jody

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)

Gumby