OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Kansas Update

Started by dawgfrombama, March 12, 2013, 11:11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dawgfrombama

Heading to Kansas for the opener.  I will be hunting around Whitewater and Newton.  I've been out there a few times and the numbers seemed to be down a little last year.  Still plenty of birds but just not as many as in the previous years.  I know the rains from a few years ago hurt the population and wondering if anyone heard if the numbers were coming back up?

jhcats10

I'm not real sure about the entire state but we hunt around Marysville and had TONS of jakes around us last year so I'm expecting a bunch of willing 2 yr olds this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Honcho

I hunt about an hour away from where you are hunting.  I scouted this last weekend and saw one group of 21 and one group of 35 on the land I hunt.  There had been 150 there in the winter so they are breaking up into smaller groups.  You should be in great shape.  We recently had LOTS of snow...21" and that moisture helped out the drought situation a lot. And shortly after we had almost an inch of rain. There should be some water in the creeks now.

kansas hooks

I hunt within an hour and a half from there and our numbers look good.  Last weekend I saw a group of 21 long beards.  In the field next to it there was a group of 14 jakes.  Last year I saw jakes everywhere so it should be a good year.

Mike Honcho

Sounds good there for sure!  I don't know about you guys but I can hardly wait until April.

Hopefully weather will cooperate this weekend and I can pattern three new chokes.

kansas hooks

I can't wait either.  I'm ready to lay the smack down on some long beards. 

Basin_hunter

Anybody know how it's looking for north east Ks ? I will be hunting a private farm near Fairview the last weekend in April
In fall we rut, in spring we strut

AUDoubleBeard

I was out by Lawerence a week ago and found multiple fields with birds in them.  One of the fields had around 12 tom and 12 jakes in it.  From what I have seen the population looks good.  I'm getting a jump start on you other fellow kansas folks. Im headed to Georgia next Friday for their opener  :icon_thumright:

stinkpickle

From what I've been reading, much of the state is looking good this year.  I usually don't come out there until May.  I like to wait for the skeeters to get thick.  :)

nativeks

Its funny, I am not even hunting them this year due to low numbers. That and  loads of people. Going to fish and mushroom hunt. May get back in it in a few years...maybe. First season since 94 I am going to sit out.