OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Indian reservation hunting question

Started by leasburg, March 12, 2013, 08:25:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leasburg

If the stars line up and I tag out in ks quick, I will have four days left of vacation.  Would a Indian reservation be a option in Nebraska or south Dakota?    Just thinking if I am already in se ks and I have the days why not.  Is it something you can do spur of the moment?  I have no clue about these places
Rub it right pro staff, hunt em boats pro staff, proud supporter of floating the 4th shell, take a kid golfing my hunting spots are getting crowded

leasburg

I have done a bit of research and a few reservations were bad mouthed pretty good.  Some look like they have applications ahead of season.  I guess if I get the chance to hunt NE Nebraska I will just go knock on doors.  I imagine that part of the state gets hit pretty hard
Rub it right pro staff, hunt em boats pro staff, proud supporter of floating the 4th shell, take a kid golfing my hunting spots are getting crowded

nativeks

I wouldn't hunt it, but if you get a chance go check out the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in South Daokta to get a glimpse of your tax dollars at work.

lightsoutcalls

Quote from: nativeks on March 14, 2013, 06:27:57 AM
I wouldn't hunt it, but if you get a chance go check out the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in South Daokta to get a glimpse of your tax dollars at work.

Here is some information about the Pine Ridge reservation for your reading pleasure:

http://www.waeministries.com/reservations/pine-ridge/
http://www.waeministries.com/childrens-home/

We all know how "efficient" our government is at spending "our" tax dollars.  We also know that in most cases, the "good intentions" of our government fall far short in the reality of making real improvements with programs and money spent. 

A saying that is sometimes attributed as an Indian (native American) proverb says "walk a mile in another man's moccasins before you criticize him".  That said, take the time to do a little reading about the history of the Lakota people and how they were repeatedly betrayed through the breaking of treaties (Fort Laramie treaty of 1851, 1861 and 1868).  Read about how these people were denied the rights to practice cultural traditions on their own lands.  Read about how, once forced onto reservations, their children were forced to go to "indian school" where their traditional long hair was cut, their traditional clothing was replaced with "more appropriate" western uniforms and they were beaten if they dared speak their native language.  The motto of the Carlisle indian school was "kill the indian, save the man".  See the link below for photos and info:
http://picturinghistory.gc.cuny.edu/item.php?item_id=75

Read about how, when gold was found in the Black Hills, land granted to them by the Fort Laramie Treaty, this land was also taken away from them, simply because of greed.  Do some research into what kind of employment opportunities are (not) available to the people of this area.  Everything these people knew for generations was stripped away from them in a brief amount of time.  They were forced onto a portion of land that was only a fraction of what they once had freedom to roam as they pleased.  Some of their primary chiefs were brutally murdered.  Camps consisting of old men, women and children were brutally slaughtered...  Read about "Wounded Knee".
Think about seeing your family piled up like this...

... frozen stiff where they fell and died, just to be pushed into a mass grave, left with no trace of their identity or individuality...

Watch the movie "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee" to get a softened version of how these people were treated.

Sorry, that just hit a raw nerve with me...  I fully agree that on the surface, it doesn't appear that these folks have taken care of what the government has given them.  However, knowing some of the back story, I tend to place the blame elsewhere.  God has given me a soft spot for these people.  Specifically those on the Pine Ridge, even though I have never been there.  I don't pretend that there aren't problems there, but rather than condemn them, I do what little I can through the ministry in the first 2 links to help out.

Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

lightsoutcalls

Quote from: skos29 on March 14, 2013, 11:47:29 AM
Oh please Lights Out. What does that have to do with today and how the Indians are now? Not one thing! To blame the plight of the American Indian today on what happened to them in the past is a very weak argument and is like blaming city ghettos such as Detroit now days on slavery from our founding fathers days. If they really wanted to improve their lives they would take steps to do so. They choose to live the way they do because they have grown dependent upon the welfare system.

I will agree with you to a point in regards to a mentality that develops when handouts are given.  That is a fact that can be proven by studies.  It happens across the world in similar ways.  I had the privelege of going to West Africa in 1999 and saw much the same situation in regards to living conditions and a frequent extended hand wanting more. 
   However, to deny the reality that such attrocities committed against a people group would have continuing effects on their lives is simply ignorant. (That is not a personal slam, nor am I calling you a name.)  I have my Bachelors degree in psychology and have worked in social service related positions with a variety of individuals for the past 22 years.  I read charts daily concerning patients' life history.  Physical, sexual and emotional pain inflicted on an individual can carry through generations. This is also supported in Biblical text:

Numbers 14:18
New Living Translation (NLT)

18 'The Lord is slow to anger and filled with unfailing love, forgiving every kind of sin and rebellion. But he does not excuse the guilty. He lays the sins of the parents upon their children; the entire family is affected—even children in the third and fourth generations.'

Studies of societies across the world prove this, in that behaviors of one generation towards the next reoccur in successive generations.  Pain experienced by one man or woman at the hands of another will often effect their relationships with those around them - friends, spouse, children...  There is a saying in the counseling community: "Hurt people hurt people."  Translated, those who have been hurt by others in turn will hurt others.  When a person gets to a place of feeling hopeless and/or helpless, they often do not function "rationally".  Often decisions that they make are skewed by their experiences, feelings and past failures, and may seem foolish to an "objective" observer.  I have seen this pattern up close for years.  No, it isn't rational.  No, it seldom brings the person out of the "funk" they live in, but it is their reality.   

I thought about posting additional resources, but recognize that if a person refuses to accept the truth already presented, likely they will not read personal accounts of the individuals or family members who have suffered first hand.  Usually a person biased against someone or something has no desire to hear facts and will generally dismiss them rather than consider them.  I recognize that in myself about some life issues, so again, that is not a personal slam. 

lightsoutcalls

We disagree.  That said, I wish you the best and good hunting.