OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

1948 Belgium Browning A5 load help

Started by blgoode, March 12, 2013, 08:43:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blgoode

I have a 1948 Belgium A5 with the Lymann choke system. I'd like to try it for turkey and am not sure what loads are best to try in this non steel shot barrel.

Any help is appreciated!

Chew

I'd say this is gonna take some actualy bench time experimenting. 

I have a newer Auto 5 (1980's) that I'll be using this year. 

I'd pick up a couple different sizes of copper plated lead shot loads from Winchester and punch some paper.

Just my opinion.  Have fun with that old A5!

blgoode

R AJ

My dad had a 1938 Belgian Browning with a fixed modified choke. A great 2 3/4" shell is the Win XX 2 3/4-1.5oz. -#6 ( 1 5/8oz.) if you can find them . Also try the Fiocchi Golden Pheasant in 2 3/4-1 3/8- #6 or 7.5. The Federal flite control in 2 3/4,1.5- #6s if the others don't work. Full or as full a sthat choke goes should do it for 30- 35 yards . 40 yds is a stretch and really needs to be verified before taking that long of a shot with those chokes.

The steel in that 1948 gun is as good as they make it. It is the damascus or twist steel barrel that you have to be very careful about. As far as an occasional shot of HTL in that barrel it would not be that harmful. It is the Lyman choke that I would be checking on.

blgoode

Snoody Bastid

I'll have to agree that it will take some trial & error in finding the right shells. This year I'm using a early 90's A-5 (Japan) with the inv+ chokes with HEVI-13 2 3/4" 6's. I have about 6 different chokes to try out. I would definitely look into the Fiocchi Golden Pheasants. I'm trying them out in my 16ga 870 along with Hevi waterfowl loads. Keep us posted on what you decide to go with and results.

blgoode

appalachianstruttstopper

Quote from: blgoode on March 12, 2013, 11:02:28 PM
Here is the .680 choke installed

Try some of Federal's lead pheasant loads.

blgoode

Will do! I have some #6 federal fesant loads but not many.

Snoody Bastid

Is that the old Cutts choke? That's pretty wild. It looks like a WWII M1 Garand grenade launch adapter.

jarbo03

Those old .680 Cutts seem to pattern very well. I would try the Golden Phez #6(not the high velocity), or the 1.5oz Win. #6.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

blgoode

Mike Honcho

Thats a great gun...I think I have a Spreader Choke(for home defence I guess???)  and a Modified choke for that system from an old Model 11 I had.

antitactical

The cutts system is good for steel shot. I wouldn't hesistate to try some HTL in it (especially #7-6 shot). Check out shotgunworld.com for the info about the cutts being steel rated. I also have a model 12 and an auto5 book that states the cutts is steel rated. on the old brownings the chokes would bulge out with steel and swell the end of the barrel. The later Japan barrels were thicker and can take the punishment. The cutts system also has one of the absolute best patterns out there. I have a win. Model 12 skeet grade with one and it works like a dream. Good luck!