turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Noob With a Mouthcall Question

Started by RickC, March 11, 2013, 11:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickC

Im not sure if Im posting this in the right place but here it is.
Im new to Turkey hunting but really getting fired up to get into it this year.
Picked up a Freak Nasty mouth call at Academy this evening to have something to work with but Im finding the fit to be a problem. Is trimming the call to fit in the mouth something is usually done or are the sides suppose to lay on the teeth?
I know I wont have the time to get anywhere near good enough with it before our season starts but figured the sooner I get started the better.
Blessings,
Rick

TauntoHawk

no you can trim the tape just trim it a little at a time and keep checking the fit, you dont want to trim too much at once. I trim almost all the calls I get to fit except hooks which are much smaller than most to start
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

zkid09

I trim nearly all my calls as well. Don't be afraid to take the scissors to them, just go a little at a time. I've cut a couple too small and they want to move around or let air under them

RickC

OK, great thanks for the help guys.

Blessings,
Rick
Blessings,
Rick

zkid09

any time. im assuming you are new at turkey calls, so check out a few brands and see what you like.
so far, my personal favorites, in order, are:
tom teasers (cracked corn and call girl. gettin redneck hen and bare naked hen soon)
houndstooth (have the tom bomb, getting the dixie combo and ghost cut soon)
woodhaven (have copperhead, red wasp, clsasic v3 and another. good calls, but like the top two better personally)

also look at the hooks and pecker wrecker calls. those will be some of my next calls as well!

IndianaGobbler

Ok I'm sure this is a stupid comment but I have mouth call but here's my issue I have a high roof and the only way I can get sounds is by pulling my jaw way down and after a few my mouth hurts so Ba I have to give it up any idea what I can do to help

SGT. Carter

paturkeyhntr

I trim the tape on most of my calls.  You can also bend the frame if that helps it fit in your mouth.

jhcats10

Quote from: paturkeyhntr on March 13, 2013, 08:22:38 AM
I trim the tape on most of my calls.  You can also bend the frame if that helps it fit in your mouth.

I'm not doubting you, but would bending the frame not affect the tension of the reeds, in return affect the sound of the call? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TRKYHTR

Quote from: jhcats10 on March 13, 2013, 08:51:48 AM

I'm not doubting you, but would bending the frame not affect the tension of the reeds, in return affect the sound of the call? 

Yes it will. For those who have a high palate you should try youth frame calls. They are not as wide as a normal frame and so would fit higher in your mouth.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

TauntoHawk

Quote from: TRKYHTR on March 13, 2013, 10:09:08 AM
Quote from: jhcats10 on March 13, 2013, 08:51:48 AM

Yes it will. For those who have a high palate you should try youth frame calls. They are not as wide as a normal frame and so would fit higher in your mouth.

TRKYHTR

Call Scott with Hooks, he can build up some of the best small framed callers around. i usually have stuff two days after ordering

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

zkid09

I would look at hooks or youth calls if your palate is really high.

Also try moving the call around in your mouth. I found it easier to yelp with the call towards the back of my mouth but easier to keekee near the front.

Bending calls will help but it didnt help much in my case. I tried that as well. It will change the sound as well

spaightlabs

I used to have to butcher calls up pretty bad to get em to work, until I found Hooks.  Scott will make you up any call you want on a youth frame, or order the youth hunter pack.

Gooserbat

I do several youth frame calls each year for guys with a narrow and/or high pallet.  I like most call makers have my own theories as to what dose and what don't work.  Contact me and I'll be glad to go over it with you.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Okiehntr12

Rick

Get on hooks website and try some of his calls they are easy to run and fit me better then most. I have a few of the youth frame and they are almost too small. Iv had to trim many of mine also. If this is the Rick I think it is gooserbat said that chaffins shooter supply in atoka has some of his calls.

Evan

RickC

Yep Evan Im the one your thinking of lol. I may take a ride to Atoka next week and check Chaffins out then. I did trim the one I picked up and that worked. Managed to at least get some noise out. Wife thought I stepped on the dogs tail, but its noise anyway. I looked at Hooks the other day and will probably order some.
Blessings,
Rick