OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

The $1 per Shell Alternative to HTL

Started by 3" 870 Shell Shucker, March 10, 2013, 10:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

870BkWht

Who is loading these for Mossy Oak?  Sometimes I think the claim that shot is copper plated is more of a copper splash not an actual coating. Thanks for posting the review of these shells.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: 870BkWht on March 11, 2013, 04:43:13 PM
Who is loading these for Mossy Oak?  Sometimes I think the claim that shot is copper plated is more of a copper splash not an actual coating. Thanks for posting the review of these shells.

It says "Federal" right on the box.  Look like the old stru shok loads to me.  I still have maybe 6 or 8 boxes of them.  Might have to cut one of each open and compare...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

SgtUSMC

Just picked up 2 boxes myself at the local wally world.  With the way my gun shot lead shells this weekend, I don't know if I'll even use my Hevi shot.   I just don't see how the bird can get any "deader" with a $6 shell

3" 870 Shell Shucker

HTL was/is great stuff, but at $4 a shell I felt like I was paying a premium for it.  With an increase in prices, I had already sworn off buying any more HTL.  Now, currently available $1 3" Lead shells are throwing 140 at 40.  That has to put a dent in the HTL market at some point.  Some people have even beaten my #6 Thugs 140 at 40.........with #5 Thugs no less!!!

I'm glad that an affordable shell, that's a real shooter for almost everyone who's tried it, has at long last become available.  It's outshooting the Win Sup HV loads for me.

Tom Foolery

I shot them through my 870 with a .660 Kicks and they averaged 92 @ 40yds. 

My 870 is over 100 with Win HV 3" #5's and #6's @ 40yds.

I hope they do better through my 835.

Yoder409

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on March 11, 2013, 07:14:02 PM
It's outshooting Win Sup HV loads for me.

Now THAT'S saying something !!!!!

The Winnie HV's have been the #1 most consistent Pb performer through all my pattern testing since they hit the scene. 
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

cajunhunter

Damm! I stopped at a Wal Mart today shelves were bare.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteI shot them through my 870 with a .660 Kicks and they averaged 92 @ 40yds.

My 3" 870 has shot a bunch of Lead patterns similar to what you describe above, but they were with Win Sup HV.  The very best with those in my 870 was 116 with Win Sup HV #5.  90-116, considering 8-10 patterns shot, with the best performing choke.

Then I tried the #6 Thugs through 5 different chokes.  All 5 patterns were nice, and 1 was 140 in 10 at 40.  The Thugs are a better shooting load for me.  However, each gun is different, I readily admit.

Good luck. 

ericjames

Great looking patterns, Mine is doing anywhere from 155-166 with the 3.5-2-6 thugs and 2 shots with the 3.5-2-5 was 129 and 134.. I bought all 5 boxes they had at the walmart in Waynesboro, MS. I will be buying every box of these I see until I get at least 15 or so boxes stuck back

3" 870 Shell Shucker

The real shame is, Wal-Mart treats this as a seasonal item.  Will Federal keep making the Thugs without the big orders coming in from Wal-Mart the remaining 75% of the year?

Tom Foolery

I have always found it amazing that a straight tube of smooth steel will vary from gun to gun on what it likes, dislikes, and choke constriction.  I owned 2 870's once, same barrel length and all, one shot #6's great and the other shot #4's good and #5's good but was terrible with #6's.

Going to try the Thugs through my 835 this weekend, it likes most everything.

Old Gobbler

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteIt sure looks like a good pattern

Thanks.