turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

aggressive jake decoy

Started by zkid09, March 10, 2013, 06:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zkid09

looking for a half or quarter strut jake decoy for a good price. i dont use decoys much so dont want to spend too much money. dont really want to spend the money on a dsd or btd. looking to stay around 30-50$
also looking for something thatll be really portable that i could throw in my vest maybe.

i thought about a cherokee sports or maybe a carrylite.

any opinions??

jhcats10

I bought a Carrylite Prettyboy junior semi strut.  I did a little paint job on it to improve the colors and I think it looks pretty good.  Wing supply had them on sale for $20, not sure if they're still available.  I'll try to post some pics later.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

zkid09

Quote from: jhcats10 on March 10, 2013, 07:19:35 PM
I bought a Carrylite Prettyboy junior semi strut.  I did a little paint job on it to improve the colors and I think it looks pretty good.  Wing supply had them on sale for $20, not sure if they're still available.  I'll try to post some pics later.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

yeah buddy id like seeing some pics!! what sort of paint did you use for it? and how hard was it to do?

jhcats10

Here's the pics, i painted the head with some outdoor specific paint from hobby lobby. When I got the decoy, part of its back didn't have any paint at all on it.  I guess it was just a manufacturing mistake. I think it turned out pretty good and even if I have to redo it next year, the paint was really cheap.  It doesn't look perfect but here are the before and afters of the back, I'll post the head this afternoon when I get off work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zkid09

Looks good! Would like seeing the head when you get time

Anyone else have any input?

opster246

Get the Carry lite if you don't want to spend much $.  I have and like some of the Cherokee Sports decoys, but the seams are starting to leak after 4 years of hunting.  Patch up with a hot glue gun, but I like the Pretty boy for the $.  Nice custom paint job!

jblackburn

I also picked up a pretty boy junior from wing supply for $20 and gave mine a paint job with hobby paint from walmart.

Right out of the box

Head before

Head After

We'll see how it works!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

jblackburn

Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

jhcats10

Here's my "after" head picture. I didn't take a "before" but it had already been posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk