turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Oklahoma Public Land

Started by RussM311, March 10, 2013, 02:48:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RussM311

Hi all, hope everyone is having or about to have a wonderful season. Having recently retired, I can now pursue gobbling toms to my heart's content. After a short season here in Louisiana and a week in Mississippi, I am going to head to Oklahoma for a few weeks of Rio chasing and general relaxation. After some pretty intense internet scouting, I have settled on 4 different wma's to hunt. The adventure begins in the Cimmaron Hills and Cimmaron Bluffs wmas.... mainly because it will be a complete change of scenery from my big forest hunting norm. Traveling back towards home, I will spend a few days at the Altus-Lugert wma and finish the season at Hickory Creek wma (actually hunted HC last season, and was impressed with the management and turkey population). I am looking forward to a great trip, and with a LOT of luck, maybe putting a bird or two in the freezer.

Other than lots of other hunters (public land normalities) and rattlesnakes, are there any other surprises that I should be aware of? Good or bad.

Again, best wishes to all in the upcoming season.

RickC

Hey Russ, if you know Hickory Creek then you know my area. I live on the east side of Lake Texoma.
Not trying to dissuade your venture just forwarn. We've been under severe drought for a couple years now and its really affected the hunting. I would also say last summer I did see 3 different groups of hens with chicks and we've been hearing some gobblers now and then close to the house. I mention this just hoping that the Turkey hunting isn't affected like the waterfowl season was. It was really bad on public areas.
Regardless, if you make it this way may you have some great, and safe hunts. Enjoy that retirement!

Blessings,
Rick
Blessings,
Rick

jblackburn

I have not hunted those areas, but from my experience hunting pressure generally decreases after the first week to two weeks of the season.  Several times I have had large WMAs to myself later in the season.

Good luck!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

FttFttVroom!

Been hunting turkey in supposed rattle snake areas for all my life and have only come across one little guy on the side of a road.  You should be fine in the areas you listed.  Wish you the best of luck on your rio hunt!

RussM311

Thanks for the responses, I am really looking forward to this trip. RICKC... I hunted Hickory Creek last year and had a blast. It was the last week of the season, and we pretty much had it to ourselves. Plenty of birds were gobbling and we took two nice birds on our 3rd day of the hunt. Lots of exciting moments around the old Love Cemetery.... had a hen step up on my leg as a tom slipped, unmolested, around behind me....lol. JB....I agree whole heartedly about the hunting pressure clearing out after a few days....which is why I am not going until the 18th of Apr... give the crowds time to thin out. Last year at HC the folks from the southeast part of the state inundated the area because their season had been delayed due to the drought conditions... HC being one of the closest wma's to their area. SNAKES.... just hate them... but since I live in Louisiana, they are a way of life. I have learned to look close before reaching out or sitting down... nasty critters. Make me hurt myself more than them. Our season here opens next weekend and the scouting has been pretty slim...only found one bird talking so far. But....it is only one that I need.

RickC

Russ that sounds like an awesome hunt at HC. I think what might have helped is after the previous summer of close to 90 days off 100+ we got some pretty good rains in October, November and some in December. The waterfowling was pretty good. We got a couple more good rains in March and April but its been bad since. But then again we've been seeing and hearing them around close to the house and friends have been seeing and hearing them out in the field. So hopefully its a good season. Make sure to give me a shout when your out this way.
Blessings,
Rick

RussM311

Will do Rick....  I expect HC to be the last week of the season. My son and I hunt waterfowl in your area, and we basically gave up on them after the early teal season. The year before we had really enjoyed tremendous duck hunting around Love Valley and HC.... but this year it was just bone dry. Maybe we can get some rain this year and all will be well again.

RickC

I'm hoping for a better season as well. I know of one water fowler he hunts the HC area, or that side of the Red river and lake and he said it was the worst season he's had in 36 seasons.
Looking forward.

Sent from my wife's iPad using Tapatalk HD
Blessings,
Rick