OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Who all taught themselves to turkey hunt?

Started by BlakeJ, March 10, 2013, 12:41:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoyt

When I started spring gobbler hunting I didn't know but one other person that turkey hunted and he lived about 150 miles from me. Most people didn't even know we had a turkey season and there wasn't one in most counties in Ga. back then ( early 60's).

I ended up buying a 45rpm record from Lynch Calls and a Fool Proof box along with a Jet Slate and went from there. Mouth diaphragm calls weren't out when I first started.
The most modern thing out was Knight & Hale's Tube calls. I called them one time and one of them told me they just came out with them and how good they were...ordered several of them...never did get too good with one.

One thing about it back in those days you had the woods to yourself.

budtripp

My dad was a deer and upland bird hunter, and he taught me those two sports well but turkey hunting was foreign to him. I started on my own when I was maybe 12 or 13. Think I finally killed my first bird at 14 (jake) and been learning the game since (26 now). Still have a lot to learn though

slamman

renegade19

My buddy got me started.  I'm still learning every time out.  For that matter, everytime I visit here!

appalachianstruttstopper

I've been turkey huntin' for 26yrs and still aint figured it out!   :character0029:

Uncle Nicky

I didn't start until I was in my 30s, nobody I grew up with including my father turkey hunted, it was strictly small game & deer.

I learned a lot by watching TV shows and by simple trial & error.

NYGobblergetter

My dad took me to turkey camp in texas when I was 12, more so to hang out with the guys then turkey hunt. I managed to kill a jake by myself that year and have been hooked ever since. Dad really didn't know what he was doing, but did get a nice Lynch box that I have used to call in quite a few Rios. I read every article I could on turkey hunting because our high school has old Field & Stream and Outdoor Life. I learned by a lot of mistakes too and can still seem to for patience often. Since moving to NY i have learned a lot more chasing easterns. I have a pile of different calls and am headed to South Dakota with my good buddy to chase Merriams in about a month...CAN'T WAIT.

catman529

Nobody in my family hunts, so I got into hunting on my own with the help of the Internet. Hunting forums and YouTube have been a big help. This will be my 3rd solo spring turkey season. I am pumped

LB FANATIC

Self taught, mostly. My family, like others didnt Turkey hunt at all when growing up. My brother and I have only went once together as adults. Most of my learning has been from Mr Tom, the internet, and a few people willing to share information. Been at it around 6 years now (seriously) and am TOTALLY addicted. Ive killed 7 longbeards, and messed up 3x as many..lol
No better teacher than experience..

Note of extreme thanks to Boards like this one, and those willing to share information here..

Wingbone

Self taught, with no other option. There were no turkeys around these parts when I was a kid, therefore there were no turkey hunters around to teach me anything. Then, thanks to TWRA and NWTF, a small huntable population was transplanted into the county in the late 80s. By early 90s, they started spreading slowly and a couple made their way to my farm. I decided to hunt them that spring. That was 1994, and I'm still learning how to hunt them.
In Hoc Signo Vinces

WyoHunter

Quote from: MiamiE on March 10, 2013, 10:09:22 AM
I taught myself as well. Although every trip out is still a learning experience.
So true for me too!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!