turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

ssx users?

Started by knightrider, March 09, 2013, 06:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knightrider

shooting a mossy 500 12gauge with 3in #6 will the643 ssx be to tight? i now i will need to shoot it and see just asking for feedback from those that have used it. :bible:

BandedSpur

Can't speak to the Mossy, but the SSX does well with Pb or HS 6s (you didn't specify) from my 1187.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: knightrider on March 09, 2013, 06:17:09 PM
shooting a mossy 500 12gauge with 3in #6 will the643 ssx be to tight? i now i will need to shoot it and see just asking for feedback from those that have used it. :bible:

Not at all. The .643 exit diameter is just one part of the "internal geometry" of the SSX. It works exceptionally well with those guns and those shells.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

lowoctane

Yeah, what Clark said... :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Lucky Clucker

Hunt every day as if it were your last.

SKFOOTER

Strut Stopper Xtreme choke made by Truglo. :OGturkeyhead:

ILIKEHEVI-13

I tried one of the .643 SSX chokes in my Rem 870 with Hevi-13 loads.  It didn't take me long to sell it.  Too tight for my gun.  It blew the patterns. 

captin_hook

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on March 18, 2013, 01:38:04 PM
I tried one of the .643 SSX chokes in my Rem 870 with Hevi-13 loads.  It didn't take me long to sell it.  Too tight for my gun.  It blew the patterns. 

My 870 didn't like it as we'll.

ILIKEHEVI-13

And that's not saying it can't work in your barrel.  It very well may.  But again I will say this from my findings in 870 barrels is that once you go below .655 you do more harm than good for 20" patterns.  Now that don't mean that you can't get some decent 10" patterns with a choke tighter.  But what I have witnessed is that your shot pattern will start seeing more holes in between shots in the 20".  And also I have found that 10" numbers at least in my barrels weren't as good either.  But even a .643 SSX choke can still give decent patterns at 40yds.  But not as good as chokes from .655 to .675 in my findings shooting Hevi-13 3" turkey loads.   

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I tried a SSX in my 870, and it didn't throw big numbers, but it did throw a very even 20" pattern at 40 Yards with 1.75 Ounces of #6 Hevi13.  140"s in 10" with that #6 load. 

255 in 10" with 2 Ounces of #7 Hevi13.

A very huntable choke, but it didn't throw big numbers for me.  I wish I had kept it.

knightrider

well it surprised me! it put up 210 in the 10 with 360 in the 20 with three inch magblends out of the 26 in polished mossberg 500. it also put up 270 in the 20 with the turkey thug 17/8 #6 shot these were shot at 40 yards taped and the ssx out shot my jelly head by 60 hits in the 20 in circle with the magblend :OGturkeyhead:

ILIKEHEVI-13

Now you know.  Looks like you have a keeper. 

3" 870 Shell Shucker

The SSX, just like all other good chokes, will shoot very well in some guns.  It may be the very best choke for your gun.  Each gun (Barrel) is different.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Now I would invite you to try shooting that load in some other high quality more open choke like Pure Gold or Indian Creek.  That way you will know for sure which choke shoots the best. 

allaboutshooting

Quote from: knightrider on March 18, 2013, 08:19:09 PM
well it surprised me! it put up 210 in the 10 with 360 in the 20 with three inch magblends out of the 26 in polished mossberg 500. it also put up 270 in the 20 with the turkey thug 17/8 #6 shot these were shot at 40 yards taped and the ssx out shot my jelly head by 60 hits in the 20 in circle with the magblend :OGturkeyhead:
I'm glad to hear that the SSX works so well for you.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."