OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Dissappointing 870 patterns

Started by bullet355, March 08, 2013, 05:34:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bullet355

I thought about a new barrel but would like to find a camo to match the gun.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Then I would definately send it back to Remington especially if you bought it new.  Just tell them you bought the gun so many years ago as a collector and that you just now decided to use it and it shoots terrible.  My money would be they would fix it free of charge minus the shipping.  You will probably get a new barrel rather than them actually trying to fix your barrel if they have that camo pattern.  If they no longer have that camo patten, they more than likely will ask you if you would agree to take a currently new camo pattern that they have. 

Longshanks

The best patterns I have gotten with short barrel rem 870's have been with kicks .655 and ventilator .655. The ventilator choke is very inexpensive. Think I payed 12.00 Worth a try.

170 in a 10 with 3/2/6's Pb. Ventilator
155 in a 10 with 3/2/6's Pb. Kicks

*both chokes will shoot  hevi 3/2/7's  250+. Ventilator is closer to 280.
*after polishing my 870 barrel I had to shoot a box of inexpensive shells through it before the patterns were productive.
*check the barrel tightness as well. Tighten the screw with a pair of pliers and a leather strap.

wingbonehntr

I have a rhino 660 you can try.  It's in my backup gun.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

My 3" 870 with 28" Barrel has never shot huge numbers, but with the right choke it shoots better numbers.  I settled for that.  I can shoot in the High 150's with the current 3" Bronze shell 1.75 Ounce Hevi13 #6 shot.  With any choke other than my best one in that gun, it shoots in the 140's at best.

The same gun and choke will do 180 with 3" 2 Ounce Magnum Blend, and 294 with 3" 2 Ounce #7.

Just some food for thought.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on March 09, 2013, 11:55:23 AM
My 3" 870 with 28" Barrel has never shot huge numbers, but with the right choke it shoots better numbers.  I settled for that.  I can shoot in the High 150's with the current 3" Bronze shell 1.75 Ounce Hevi13 #6 shot.  With any choke other than my best one in that gun, it shoots in the 140's at best.

The same gun and choke will do 180 with 3" 2 Ounce Magnum Blend, and 294 with 3" 2 Ounce #7.

Just some food for thought.

Trust me that 294 with Hevi-13 3" 2oz #7's is in fact an extroadinary  pattern.  I know 297 shot is the best my gun has done with that load.  And there isn't many guns that will come close to beating those same type numbers with that same load.  Mine was shot with a MAD Super Max .675 choke.  I have done 282 with the .655 Ventilator choke.  But the overall pattern isn't nearly as good inside the 20"  That's what I have been trying to tell folks on these forums about getting too tight and actually blowing or shooting holes in your pattern. 

bullet355

"I have a rhino 660 you can try.  It's in my backup gun."

Thanks, thats a generous offer, but my season starts Friday and I  probably won't have a chance to go shoot again before it comes in, so I am going to stick wtih what I've been using the last few years.

bullet355

I do have a 655 venilator that I haven't shot yet. I thought it might be to tight for the H13 6's.

bullet355

Longshanks
Those are some really good numbers for lead
"170 in a 10 with 3/2/6's Pb. Ventilator
155 in a 10 with 3/2/6's Pb. Kicks"
What kind of shells are they?

Old Gobbler

Your shooting good ammo,  your barrel is on the shorter side  - you will probably get good results by trying different chokes - make sure that forcing cone is  mirror smooth  , and the bore is the same clean it out after each shot and you should get it up there in count
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

bullet355

I do run a bore snake through it between shots, but I don't use any solvents.
I'll have to take a look at the forcing cone.

West Augusta

My 870 hated a 28" barrel but loves a 24" with a 665 Jellyhead.  I get around 240 now.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

CntrlPA

Try that Ventilator when you get a chance, you might be suprised.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: West Augusta on March 10, 2013, 05:59:59 AM
My 870 hated a 28" barrel but loves a 24" with a 665 Jellyhead.  I get around 240 now.

I orignally had a 21" barrel on my 870 turkey gun that I bought brand new.  I ended up trading it for a 28" barrel from a guy in GA.  We traded even.  It shoots only better patterns now.  I have always got better patterns from a longer barrel vs a shorter barrel.  And that 's shooting both barrels with the exact same chokes and loads.  The reason I say that is I had another brand new 870 28" barrel at the time and compared them.  The 28" barrel always won. 

Longshanks

Quote from: bullet355 on March 09, 2013, 09:26:40 PM
Longshanks
Those are some really good numbers for lead
"170 in a 10 with 3/2/6's Pb. Ventilator
155 in a 10 with 3/2/6's Pb. Kicks"
What kind of shells are they?

Winchester XX (red shells)

The gun will turn great patterns with the winchester 3/ 1 7/8/ 6's (grey box) and the winchester HV     3/ 1 3/4/ 6's. In this set up, looks like a matter of mathematics..more shot in the shell=more holes in the paper..no need for HTL in this setup.  I shoot 40 yds, 170 with PB 6's is devastating on the turkeys.
It will turn 280 with Hevi 3/2/7's.

*winchester xx 6's and hevi 7's worked best in this set up.
*the best route I have found with numerous turkey guns is to set up the shotgun/choke first..(members of Old Gobbler have been instrumental in this process)..then find out what ammo shoots best. Starting with a particular load..and trying to find what choke works best can get expensive when you start going through 4-5 chokes and even a couple of barrels..and still might not have the results you want.
*numerous times I have seen hevi 7's turn mediocre patterning guns into turkey slaying machines.