OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

at what age did you start taking your kid?

Started by SouthEastNC, March 08, 2013, 01:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SouthEastNC

The Lord blessed us with a little jake last month.

At what age have folks here started taking their kids turkey hunting? 8 years old or so?

I can't wait to pass on the addiction to him. And starting this year, North Carolina is now doing a full Youth Week the week before the season, rather than just a Youth Day. I'm looking forward to signing him into school late every day those weeks.
Go Heels, Go America

mnturkey

Because of circumstances I could not take my daughter hunting but I did take my grandson when he was 6 Grouse hunting and he loved it.
I went with my dad duckhunting when I was 4, I would think whatever age you and your wife agree on.
Nothing wrong with taking them with you at any age as long as you are careful especially with the ears and hearing.
SEMPER FI

frank1969

redleg06

took my 4 year old deer hunting and to the duck blind this year at 4 years old. He's going turkey hunting with me this year. 

I was 4 or 5 when I started hunting with my dad.

vaturkey

Started taking my son squirrel huntin when he was about 5. Started letting him carry a 410 when he was 7. He killed his first gobbler when he was 8.

vaturkey   :newmascot:
Vaturkey

Gooserbat

I started taking Zane when he was 4.  I will suggest getting a pop up blind.  It keeps it more fun for them.  They can take a nap, move around... just remember when they go it's about them and teaching them to love the outdoors, not about killing anything, at least at first.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

savduck

It depends on the kid. My oldest son started going with me at 3. My 6 year old daughter has never been, doesn't want to, and my youngest who is now three isn't ready. He is way to wild. My oldest son was calm and acted way older than is age.
Georgia Boy

flintlock

following along 6 or so.  To shoot - 12, after he had killed squirrels an deer.   If using a blind prob anytime would be good.

Congrats on your boy.
If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

TrackeySauresRex

My boy was 6 and taging along with me,scaring every turkey in site. I'd do it all over again the same way.  ;D I had a blast and laugh like crazy thinkin about it now. He was 10 when he started. 
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

wvboy

Age 5 .. my son watched me kill 3 turkeys that year.. he killed his first at age 7 with a X-bow.. he is 9 now and we have graduated to a 20 gauge.. I am so excited to be mobile with him this year..
RB .. Take me Home Country Roads

SouthEastNC

Go Heels, Go America

heathwesley

My boys will be 2 and 3 this summer.  Before either of them could walk I had them out in the woods with me. 

marshboy

We have two rules in our house...

1)  You have to be 3 to go with Dad in the duckboat in the afternoons.
2)  You have to be 4 to go with Dad in the duckboat in the dark early in the morning.

My boy is now 8, my girl now 6. 

Here's my boy

And here's my little girl

Greg

Fatbeard

Started taking mine at age 4 I used a pop up blind and he took cars and small toys to play with and a blanket to lay on and plenty of snacks and drinks! He killed his first deer at 6 and has killed 4 Longbeards and he is 12 now! Congrats
East TN Beard Buster

appalachianstruttstopper

Took mine to observe from 4 til 7. Killed his first longbeard when he was 8.