OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

One Adventurous Turkey Hunt

Started by totallycluckedup, March 08, 2013, 09:31:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

totallycluckedup

So this past Wednesday morning I decided to make a quick hunt before work.  After I drove back into the woods I had the pleasure of watching a panther walk through my parking spot.  It didn't run off... just walked leisurely into the woods.  Since I didn't have a lot of time I went ahead and got out of the truck.  I tell ya walking through the woods in the dark knowing a panther was in the area made every little twig snap a heart pumping experience.  About 10 minutes into my walk I saw a large shape in the dark.  There are cattle where I hunt, so assuming it was just a cow I lit it up with my flashlight only to notice the biggest bear I've seen in the wild.  The eyes were about a foot apart.  It huffed at me so I continued down the trail keeping my eye on it to make sure it wasn't going to pursue (I've had them get aggresive before if they have little ones).  While looking back at the bear, another 20-30 yards down the trail I walked into a feeding pack of hogs... when they took off through the palmettos I think I probably jumped 3' in the air.  I'm pretty sure that's the most adrenaline pumping time I've ever had in the woods.  I decided to hunker down till light. hahaha.  I'll be making my way back out this weekend.  My phone was packed away that morning so I'm kicking myself for not being able to get pics of these awesome creatures.  I'll keep it handy this weekend.  Have fun fellas...(and ladies)

GSLAM95

That sounds like a great start to a morning hunt in Florida to me!  Did you end up hearing or working any birds?

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

busta biggun

That is amazing. That's what I like about hunting in KS and MO,....the most dangerous creature out there (besides all of the idiotic poachers) is a bobcat. Great story.

totallycluckedup

Quote from: GSLAM95 on March 08, 2013, 09:39:54 AM
That sounds like a great start to a morning hunt in Florida to me!  Did you end up hearing or working any birds?

After sun up I heard one gobble.  I went closer to work it and had it gobbling at me.  Unfortunatley a hen piped up between him and I and starting yelping non stop.  I was able to hear them hook up and it went quiet.  Since I had to work I didn't have a whole lot of time.  I'll be back out tomorrow.  They've been pretty henned up in my woods this past week.  Even the gobblers are still together.  I watched four strutters with 7 hens... I would have thought they'd be fighting each other off by now.

totallycluckedup

Quote from: busta biggun on March 08, 2013, 09:41:19 AM
That is amazing. That's what I like about hunting in KS and MO,....the most dangerous creature out there (besides all of the idiotic poachers) is a bobcat. Great story.

I hear ya... I've been in the woods and swamps of southwest florida all my life and that's the first time I've seen a panther in the wild.  Seen their tracks plenty but never put my eyes on one... don't think I really care to again either.  LOL

headbanger

That'll get your heart pumping early in the morning!

tomstopper

Awesome hunt. If Biden heard this, he would recommend you get a double barrelled shotgun for protection............

GC

Quote from: busta biggun on March 08, 2013, 09:41:19 AM

You must hunt northern Missouri because the Ozarks has a quickly growing wild/feral hog herd.  I killed one about five years ago while turkey hunting and have bumped into them off and on for years now.  MDC estimates we may have as many as 10,000 wild hogs statewide.  We also have a steadily growing black bear population in the southern half of the state.  In fact, the MDC has a long term study underway right now to determine if a hunting season might be possible within the next five years.  The best guess as of now is the bear population may be around 500 bears found mostly in the Ozark region.  The male bears in the MDC study average 325 pounds, not a bad size bear.  Just a month or so ago a mountain lion killed one of the newly introduced elk down at Peck Ranch.  In the last decade there have been something like 30 confirmed lion sightings within Missouri. 

MiamiE

Where abouts in SW Florida you at? My lease is in that area as well. I was at a WMA there on wednesday for a permit I drew and saw more panther and bear tracks than I would like to have seen. Thankfully didnt see either. I dont care for the panthers really, but the bears I would like to avoid at all costs. Good luck out there!  :icon_thumright:

surehuntsalot

you just never know what you might see in the woods
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

totallycluckedup

Quote from: MiamiE on March 10, 2013, 05:43:20 PM
Where abouts in SW Florida you at? My lease is in that area as well. I was at a WMA there on wednesday for a permit I drew and saw more panther and bear tracks than I would like to have seen. Thankfully didnt see either. I dont care for the panthers really, but the bears I would like to avoid at all costs. Good luck out there!  :icon_thumright:

I was hunting the Corkscrew Marsh unit of CREW WMA.  I struck out during my quota.  The birds were impossible to work.  I saw birds every day I was there, but they weren't coming to calls, decoys... nothin.  I tried just about every way and method possible, but they were being very stubborn.  I drew last Wednesday thru Sunday... no one got a bird during that quota.

MiamiE

It's a tough place to hunt and loaded with panthers. I hunted the same area for deer this past fall and saw a few turkeys. Very thick in there.