OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How open for choke for Browning BPS(pump)

Started by Larry Mac, March 07, 2013, 11:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry Mac

I missed most of last turkey season because of  a surgical procedure, so it's been 2 years since I patterned my gun.
Today when patterning my 24" browning pump,I was surprised to see the more open.670 Primos Jellyhead outperformed my .665 IC choke when using Hevi 13 3".   #6 and the Hevi 23 3.5" #6. If I purchased another IC choke, should I go even more open like .675 or more.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Larry on Invector Plus choke barrels I can tell you that .675 is just about perfect for your best patterns.  .670 to .675 turkey chokes will give you optimum patterns with that barrel whether it be lead or Hevi-Shot. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

Larry,

I'm gonna save you some money and send you this in a pm.  I'll explain it more there. 

30_06

I had good patterns with a .675 shooting Hevi #6's.

Birdman

ILIKEHEVI-13

I basically shoot the same gun except my barrel is 28" long.
I have the IC .665" and it patterns really well - but if you have some inside intel. on making it better I would love to read what you sent to Larry   ;D

Thanks and good luck this spring.

runngun

I have a BPS 26 and a Maxus 26, 675 Kicks in the BPS Rocks!!! I believe the Pure Gold in my Maxus is 670 and it Rocks as well!!!
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Well I had what I thought to be a perfect choke for Larry that I sent him last nite.  It was a MAD Super Max .675 made by Indian Creek.  But now it's gone.  I can only do so much here. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

Now I haven't shot one of these chokes yet, but I have heard some good reports and have talked to some that are in the know on this choke.  I am very familiar how well the TruGlo SSX .670 choke shot in my Moss 835 with Hevi-13 loads on a very cool 45 degree day.  312 in a 10' at a taped 40yds.  That's better than excellent in my opinion for that cool of temp.   But the bad thing about the TruGlo SSX for Browing Inv Plus barrels is that it's .643 in exit diameter.  Now from my knowledge that is just way too tight regardless of folks that try and tell you different.  I had one of them for my 870 barrel and it was also .643.  I sold it after a few shots with Hevi-13.  But the new TruGlo Bone Collector .667 for Invector Plus chokes I'd bet money would shoot excellent patterns. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TruGlo-Bone-Collector-Smackdown-Choke-Tube-12-Gauge-667-BC166X-/281040759107?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item416f55a943

Larry Mac

The old 3" white Hevi 13's actually shoot better out of my.645 IC. Not too many of those boxes left???? it seems its better to be more open with the new loads. ( I keep going up-- first .650, then .655, then .665. Now .675) gets expensive

ILIKEHEVI-13

packmule

I have a 26" bbl Inv+ BPS.  The .643 SSX out-patterned a .670 Pure Gold choke by a fair margin with Winchester 3" #5s and Hevi-13 3" #6s.  Both chokes shot similar patterns with Old Federal #5 lead loads.  The SSX choke is my primary hunting choke in my shotgun, for what it's worth.

chipper

I'm shooting a sx3  but some some invector plus barrels are strange ive, shoot .665 through .680 through my sx3 and finally got my best patterns using hevi  # 6 and 7 with the Indian creek .665, it out shot the madd super max .675 and the kicks gt  .670 and .675 by a wide margin, my hunting partner  shoots a bps also and his gun shot the magazines better with a kicks .665 than the super max and both of the kicks I tried.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Well from my knowledge of testing chokes in the guns I have tested is that patterns will start to actually diminish when you get tighter than .655.  Now that's with lead or Hevi.   

The Browning Gold 3.5" semi I had liked chokes around .665 to .675.  .675 shot better than the .665 in my experience. 

3" 870 Shell Shucker

My INV+ .665 smokes.  But then again, I don't know my exact bore or choke diameter, so who knows?

ILIKEHEVI-13

The Inv Plus bores are .742.  There's no way from my knowledge that a .643 exit diameter choke is gonna work the best vs other chokes from .665 to .675.  That's talking lead or Hevi.  Now there may be some exceptions on cheaper chokes not working as good as say a TruGlo .643 SSX, but not if you compare it with the better made chokes that is the right one for your gun from .665 to .675  For the most part if you in fact experiment a little bit, you will more than likely agree with me.  More times than not all that tighter chokes do once you get past say .655 is increase your chances of blown patterns vs a little more open choke from what my experience has taught me.  You will start to see larger holes in between your shot from my findings in too tight of choke vs more open chokes from .670 to .675 and that's not just in the Invector Plus barrels I am talking about here.  A lot of guys that shoot .655, .660 or .665 chokes that swear by them would truly be shocked to think all this time they thought they had the cats meow of a choke only to later find out that a .670 or .675 works even better yet for 10" and 20" numbers at 40yds.  You only know for sure when you compare the choke diameters in the same chokes with the exact same ammo head to head.