turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Youth Shotgun

Started by 30_06, March 05, 2013, 04:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

30_06

In a little bit of a dilemma here folks. I'm looking to put together a light recoiling shotgun that will shoot a good 10"-20" pattern at say 10-20 yards for a first time female youth hunter.

How bad is the recoil of, and what do you think are the odds of a .410 3" shell with 3/4oz at 1100fps of lead #7.5's having a killing pattern, and enough energy to kill a turkey at 20 yards would be?
If #7.5 lead is too small what are the odds for #6's with the same velocity?

I have never fired the .410 shotgun so I am flying kind of blind. I do have a 20ga, and a 16ga, but quite frankly I am worried that the larger shotguns will recoil too much for her as she is very slight in frame. Any help is appreciated.

noggin buster

If you could keep a 100 in a 10'' circle at 20yards ?  That would be about as far as i would push it. Pattern it and see what it does at 15-20. I have a 28g that i shoot 7.5's but 20 is my max!

FullChoke

Try these. (http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/shotshell.aspx?id=943) Less shot, less recoil.

Take her out and get her used to the sound of the gunshot and the recoil of dove loads. Work a squirrel shell or two into the mix. When you take her, load the gun with the shells from above. When she shoots at a live target, she will not feel any difference in the recoil.

Good luck.

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

whiskey

.410 should do you to 20 yards and won't kick much. My little girl has been on 20ga since she was 9. If yours is younger, may want to go .410

30_06

Quote from: noggin buster on March 05, 2013, 04:41:32 PM
If you could keep a 100 in a 10'' circle at 20yards ?  That would be about as far as i would push it. Pattern it and see what it does at 15-20. I have a 28g that i shoot 7.5's but 20 is my max!

What oz load are you shooting in the 28ga?

BandedSpur

I'd say the chances are 100%. There are 262 #7.5 pellets in a 3/4 oz load, and at 20 yds a full choke .410 will put most of them in a 20" circle. Most factory 3" .410s only hold 11/16 oz of shot, but that would still be 241 pellets. Lead 7.5s have the energy to kill turkeys to 35 yds, so pellet energy is not the limiting factor.  Definitely go with 7.5s vs 6s to keep the pattern density up. A 20 gauge gas autoloader with 7/8 oz of 7.5s would be an even better choice if it is not too heavy for her to hold up, something like a Charles Daly (under 6 lbs and soft shooting).

Tom Foolery

I bought my newphew an H&R 410 full choke and with a 3" load of #6's he would have a killing pattern to 25yds with probably a 3yd cushion.  I think it's a great idea to go with 7.5's also, if I could ever get him to hunt that's what he would shoot.

M R Ducks

First, depending where you live ensure you can legally hunt turkey with a .410. 

That said,  any gas operated shotgun will be your best bet with respect to light recoil.  When my youngest was 10 he killed his first bird with a 12 gauge 11-87, with a youth stock, and a barrel mounted shooting stick to help keep it pointed in the right direction.  I had him shoot 2 3/4 inch pheasant loads, and this set up has little felt recoil.  At the time he might have weighed 50 pounds, no problem with the recoil.

It is a good 30 yard gun with a ventilator choke tube.   I have the pattern it shoots posted on the pattern page.

Ducks

Michigander

I used an old marlin bolt action 410 with a poly choke on it a couple of years ago. I used the 3" 7.5's and had a killing pattern to 25 yards or so. I ended up only having to shoot 13, that turkey couldn't have told the difference between that and a 12 ga.

Having said that, I do think you are better off with maybe a light recoiling 20 ga. Even if it is with 2 3/4 7.5 dove loads out of a mod. choke. There just isn't much wiggle room with the .410