OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hevi Mag blend or straight 7's

Started by SgtUSMC, March 04, 2013, 06:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

30_06

CrustyRusty

I have to agree...with all the load testing I have done, with turkey and coyote loads, and with several different guns, the ONLY time I have seen a better pattern with a 3 versus 3.5 was with Hevishot Dead Coyote T shot out of my personal gun, a SBE2.

I now have a Maxus 26 inch and have recently started patterning that gun, and the 3.5's that I have shot ALL pattern better than the 3's.  Even if I only averaged 20 extra holes over a 3 inch(I actually get a lot more, similar to ILIKEHEVI's results), I would still use a 3.5.   Hopefully, I only use one shot per turkey and any advantage I get I will take.   I've never felt a shot at a turkey or coyote or deer or bear, so the recoil difference means nothing to me.

As far as which round is better for SGT...you oughtta pattern both.  I recently shot some MB's and some Hevi6's and 7's and the pattern out of my new maxus has me now using H13#6's because of the great pattern I am getting.  My old SBE2 loved MB's and shot them better than H13#7's did.  You just cant tell until you try them.

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on March 06, 2013, 01:35:53 PM
All I will say in the guns I have tested over the years including with lead as well I'll take the heavier 3.5" load every single time vs the 3" lighter load.  I'll give an example in my Moss 835. 

Star Dot .676 choke on each.

Hevi-13 3" 2oz #7's do right at about 258 shot at 40yds 10". 

Hevi-13 3.5" 2.25oz #7's can put upwards of 361 shot in the 10".

Now you tell me how the 3" pattern better?

WyoHunter

I shoot both in my Beretta and both kill turkeys with gusto at 40 yards. Keep them both!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

vtmchunter

I have shot both and killed turkeys with both at 40 yards.  My preference is the #7s.  3 1/2".  I have tried 3" loads, and they don't put up the numbers the 3 1/2" do.

My gun and choke (Rem 870 with SSX)

225 in 10" at 40 with #7s
175 in 10" at 40 with Mag Blend.

cajunhunter

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on March 06, 2013, 01:46:57 PM
Quote from: cajunhunter on March 06, 2013, 12:07:38 PM
The bigger and harder question is does one have an increased lethal range over the other. They both may do the job at 40 but what about 50 or more?

We don't talk about 50yd shots here at Old Gobbler.  It's 40 or under with a smidge factor of +/- a few yds.

Got it!  Thanks. 

pdaugherty

Of course the #5 and #6 will hit harder than #7 it's simple physics there. Bigger pellet equals more mass equals more kinetic energy. Like ILIKEHEVI-13 said 40 or under is really the ethical range to take a shot at a bird. I know we've all misjudged birds in the heat of the moment or in hilly terrain, but if you do the #7s will still have the energy to kill one at 40-45. I know i've done it and seen it done. The #7s have enough kinetic energy to break a turkeys neck at 50yds. I'm not promoting to shoot at them at 50 just because they will kill them. That's just what the test results from HEVI have shown.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Balla1982

I'm about to order some HV13-7's from Mack's and give them a shot. I've only used #6's out of my Nova with an INdian creek choke and it shot high by about a foot.

Any thoughts before I complete my order?

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: Balla1982 on March 09, 2013, 10:16:39 AM
I'm about to order some HV13-7's from Mack's and give them a shot. I've only used #6's out of my Nova with an INdian creek choke and it shot high by about a foot.

Any thoughts before I complete my order?

Your halfway to the homestretch to making your 40yd patterns even more denser.  You may want to look at some TruGlo adjustable sights. 

busta biggun

Just thought I would share some interesting info hot off the press regarding Mag-Blends. My gun is at Rob Roberts and Jonathon just called me with my results. I have an original SBE with an Eotech XPS-2. He tried every load/choke combination and ended up going with the Mag-Blends. He got 200 in the 10" circle and 387 in the 20". This is about a 100% improvement over my old jellyhead. I asked why not go straight 7's in the Hevi's as I figured just like several folks here that more pellets = more holes in a turkey's head. He stated that the straight were not only less counts, but several holes in the pattern. He said it wasn't close. I totally believe people that claim that straight 7's work extremely well for them. I am just stating that you should try both to find out. You cannot assume that what works well for one person will translate to the same results for you, nor can you assume that more pellets always = better patterns. It just isn't the case.

Hope this helps!

FL-Boss

I think it's all about comparing exact same set ups.  I shoot a Remington with a 23in barrel... all I care about it what others are getting with this exact same set up.  I don't even read or consider what others are doing with other gun types..

Byhalia

Quote from: busta biggun on March 11, 2013, 04:38:35 PM
I asked why not go straight 7's in the Hevi's as I figured just like several folks here that more pellets = more holes in a turkey's head. He stated that the straight were not only less counts, but several holes in the pattern. He said it wasn't close. I totally believe people that claim that straight 7's work extremely well for them. I am just stating that you should try both to find out. You cannot assume that what works well for one person will translate to the same results for you, nor can you assume that more pellets always = better patterns. It just isn't the case.

Well put !!!!    :gobble:

Hope this helps!
~ Listen to the Wind ~    http://customprocalls.com/

01Foreman400

Just thought I would share some interesting info hot off the press regarding Mag-Blends. My gun is at Rob Roberts and Jonathon just called me with my results. I have an original SBE with an Eotech XPS-2. He tried every load/choke combination and ended up going with the Mag-Blends. He got 200 in the 10" circle and 387 in the 20". This is about a 100% improvement over my old jellyhead. I asked why not go straight 7's in the Hevi's as I figured just like several folks here that more pellets = more holes in a turkey's head. He stated that the straight were not only less counts, but several holes in the pattern. He said it wasn't close. I totally believe people that claim that straight 7's work extremely well for them. I am just stating that you should try both to find out. You cannot assume that what works well for one person will translate to the same results for you, nor can you assume that more pellets always = better patterns. It just isn't the case.

Hope this helps!

What all did he do to your gun?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Huntin Fool From Georgia!

busta biggun

Well he lied to you is all I will say.  That is bogus.  And I will leave it at that.  I got 2 turkey guns and I doubt very seriously if Rob could get them to shoot any better.  And I'm not shooting Magblends either.  You can pass this on to Rob if you wish.  I would love for him to tell me this with my patterns of Hevi-13 #7's. 

Oh and my 20" patterns from the 870 3" are right around 470 and the 835 with the 3.5" load are right around 540 in the 20".  Now ask Rob why that is if there are too many holes with 7's.  I still can't believe he told a customer that.
[/quote]

Wow ILIKEHEVI-13,...you are one rude, insecure person! Now you're telling me what MY gun is doing and that his computer generated pattern machine is lying and he is just out to con the whole world in order to sell more mag blends rather than straight 7's? I never appreciate being called a liar and I am sure that he doesn't either. I would never doubt your word when you claim 470 pellets, even though that sounds outrageous. I will give you the benefit of the doubt. You have no right to tell me how my gun patterns when you have no idea. Why don't you grow up and learn to treat people with respect instead of trying to be an internet know-it-all. I am not telling him anything. He wouldn't begin to tell you how your gun shoots, so he would have no idea how your gun patterns until he shot it. He isn't like you. He uses science to test these shells and count the little holes instead of making assumptions like you are. In my gun, the mag blends work better than the straight 7's and I don't give a flip if you believe me or not. I look forward to your apology!

spaightlabs

Hope this helps!

Biggun - which tube did he end up maxing out with?

Thanks,