OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hevi Mag blend or straight 7's

Started by SgtUSMC, March 04, 2013, 06:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SgtUSMC

I'm pretty sure this has been gone over a thousand times here, but just wanted to get some feedback from guys that have put these 2 loads up against each other. 

Basically I have boxes of both, want to sell one and keep one. 

I'm shooting a Steadygrip Supernova with a Indian Creek .665 and a Tru glo red dot.

I know I should probably shoot them both and see for myself, but since full boxes sell for more than with shells missing, I'd like to hear what works for you guys so I can feel confident choosing one over the other.

Michigander

Shoot them both, then you will feel confidant about your choice. Or, keep the 7 s and sell the Magblends.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Well I know which one I would pick and that is the one that will put the most holes in a 20" circle.  And it's no doubt going to be the 7's.  But both will do the job at 40yds and under. 

captin_hook

pdaugherty

To get the best idea of how your gun is going to pattern you need to shoot them both. Lots of folks on here can tell you one or the other shoots best in their gun but until you've tried them in yours you're not going to know. All guns shoot different. I myself prefer the #7, just because my gun does.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: pdaugherty on March 05, 2013, 10:19:38 AM
To get the best idea of how your gun is going to pattern you need to shoot them both. Lots of folks on here can tell you one or the other shoots best in their gun but until you've tried them in yours you're not going to know. All guns shoot different. I myself prefer the #7, just because my gun does.

And your exactly right.

But if you find the right choke for his barrel there is no doubt the Hevi-13 7's will give denser and better 20" patterns due to the fact that there is more shot in the load. And they have plenty of penetration at 40yds to penetrate the head and the neck of a turkey.  I'd also bet money that most shot will not only penetrate the head and the neck but will shoot completely through and out the other side.  Another reason why I said to shoot the 7's.  Nothing wrong with the Mag Blends.  But they aren't going to give you near the pattern density regardless of how great a choke you shoot with them.  Again that's providing you find the correct choke for the 7's which shouldn't take long.  I also think the 7's tend to pattern better out of most chokes from my findings vs other Hevi-13 loads.   

SgtUSMC

Thanks for the replies. 

Sounds like these #7's are the real deal, I've been doing alot of reading on them.  I'm gonna shoot em both though just to make sure. 

I've also seen alot of people saying that the 2 oz loads are patterning better than 3 1/2 inch 2 1/4 loads????  Anybody ever see that?

cajunhunter

I just bought the 3" 2oz 7s and mag blends. Waiting to get gun back. I will shoot both and post pics.

pdaugherty

SgtUSMC,

I've seen a lot of the 3in #7s pattern better than the 3.5s. I know that my brother-in-laws gun patterns the 3in #5s way better than the 3.5s. Could be the guns or the shells but that does happen.

dwhunter

The Indian Creek Tube is made to shoot Hevi 13 #5 or #6. I'm a 30+ year seasoned turkey hunter and would never ever use #7 for Turkey. Can't speak for Hevi Mag Blend but it has 5 and 6's in it. Of the two mentioned definately go with the Mag Blend.

jhcats10

Quote from: dwhunter on March 06, 2013, 11:45:18 AM
The Indian Creek Tube is made to shoot Hevi 13 #5 or #6. I'm a 30+ year seasoned turkey hunter and would never ever use #7 for Turkey. Can't speak for Hevi Mag Blend but it has 5 and 6's in it. Of the two mentioned definately go with the Mag Blend.

I've seen plenty of turkeys fall stone dead at 40 yards with the 7's. Don't doubt their killing power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cajunhunter

The bigger and harder question is does one have an increased lethal range over the other. They both may do the job at 40 but what about 50 or more?

SKFOOTER

Quote from: dwhunter on March 06, 2013, 11:45:18 AM
If you haven't tried Hevi-7's you could use some more seasoning!! ;D  And welcome to the site. :wagon:

ILIKEHEVI-13

All I will say in the guns I have tested over the years including with lead as well I'll take the heavier 3.5" load every single time vs the 3" lighter load.  I'll give an example in my Moss 835. 

Star Dot .676 choke on each.

Hevi-13 3" 2oz #7's do right at about 258 shot at 40yds 10". 

Hevi-13 3.5" 2.25oz #7's can put upwards of 361 shot in the 10".

Now you tell me how the 3" pattern better? 

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: cajunhunter on March 06, 2013, 12:07:38 PM
The bigger and harder question is does one have an increased lethal range over the other. They both may do the job at 40 but what about 50 or more?

We don't talk about 50yd shots here at Old Gobbler.  It's 40 or under with a smidge factor of +/- a few yds.