turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Rocking it old school!

Started by redrivergar, March 03, 2013, 11:52:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redrivergar

I'm not sure exactly when mossberg first started making the 835, but I've had this one for well over 20 years. Just updated it with a Sims recoil pad and an original stardot choke. I've rolled several gobblers with it and hopefully will again this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Honcho

I like these old school 835's.  Mines a newer one but I can't help but look at the used older ones in every gun store I enter.

Good luck this season!!!

KYStalker

My 835 is older too, and when I patterned it with the factory fiber optic sights it shot high, which cost me a gobbler one year.  The truglo magnum gobble dot sights are adjustable fixed sights and fixed my problem.  I don't trust red dot sights, but I love the truglo magnum gobble dots.  Gun shoots dead on now.
If you're not first, your last!!

ILIKEHEVI-13

The Moss 835 was made in 1987.  That is an older model.  I would say around early 90's.  I know they offered these older models in corncob forerams as well.  The one I have was made in around 1997 and is the Mossy Oak Shadow Grass. 

It's a pure shooter with the Star Dot choke.

Tom Foolery

Looks good, what model Simms pad did you use?  I have an old realtree camo nonported that I would love to get a new recoil pad for.

Thanks

redrivergar

They make one specifically for the 4 7/8" mossberg stock. I bought model 10112. It fit the stock but I had to re drill one of the screws. eBay said both pads were the same specs but the one I bought was 5 bucks cheaper than the one mossberg called for. Basically either will work.

redrivergar

If you go to the sims website they have a chart and templates. Good luck this spring.

redrivergar

My guns serial number ends in 88. I guess I have the second year model.

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on March 04, 2013, 06:55:40 AM
The Moss 835 was made in 1987.  That is an older model.  I would say around early 90's.  I know they offered these older models in corncob forerams as well.  The one I have was made in around 1997 and is the Mossy Oak Shadow Grass. 

It's a pure shooter with the Star Dot choke.

I have the corn cobb. I'm thinking some Ware between 92/94 I purchased it. Mine is the original reel tree green.

Quote from: Tom Foolery on March 04, 2013, 08:30:38 AM
Looks good, what model Simms pad did you use?  I have an old realtree camo nonported that I would love to get a new recoil pad for.
Thanks

I have a sims on mine. I couldn't get the bottom hole to line up and had to drill a small hole and screwed it in. It wasn't hard,just take your time.

This is what she looks looks like(not post hijacking)
http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,31354.msg324280.html#msg324280
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

ILIKEHEVI-13

You can't go by the last 2 serial numbers.  Mine ends in 82.  But I know when I bought mine.  It was right around 97 or 98.  And I bought it new. 

The Simms Limbsaver pads they made for 2 style stocks.  I forgot the specifics.  But the first one I bought didn't work for my stock.  I called them and they told me I needed the 10201.  I think that was the one for sythetic stocks.  You shouldn't have to drill any new holes.  If you do, it's because you had the wrong model. 

joshua

For the newer 835s serial #10201 fits perfect. This is for the 5 3/16 stocks. I've got the same gun as ILH13 and the 10201 fit great. I've got a original realtree green 835 (90) and a Advantage camo 835 that I bought new in 97 and both would not work with the 10201. The holes would line up fine but the bottom .5 to 1 inch of pad hung off the stock. The 4 7/8 #10201 fits these stocks perfect. The top hole lines up but you will have to drill another hole just below the old one on the stock. I just replaced my old pads last week on 2 of my 835s.
Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

Tom Foolery

I got a 10201 and it is too big for the old models.  I cut my stock down as it's a touch too long and I just mounted up the 10201 and took a dremel to it and ground it down, fits good now.

I just hope I ain't created a nose buster, lol.

Skeeterbait

One of mine was the old Realtree All Purpose Brown, not to be confused with the AP and APG sold today.  The other was the old woodland pattern like yours.  They have both been redipped in APG now.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: joshua on March 04, 2013, 11:14:14 AM
For the newer 835s serial #10201 fits perfect. This is for the 5 3/16 stocks. I've got the same gun as ILH13 and the 10201 fit great. I've got a original realtree green 835 (90) and a Advantage camo 835 that I bought new in 97 and both would not work with the 10201. The holes would line up fine but the bottom .5 to 1 inch of pad hung off the stock. The 4 7/8 #10201 fits these stocks perfect. The top hole lines up but you will have to drill another hole just below the old one on the stock. I just replaced my old pads last week on 2 of my 835s.

Ok thanks for the info.  I knew the lady told me there was a difference for the stocks but didn't remember al lthe details. 

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on March 04, 2013, 04:36:47 PM
Quote from: joshua on March 04, 2013, 11:14:14 AM

Ok thanks for the info.  I knew the lady told me there was a difference for the stocks but didn't remember al lthe details.

Maybe she sent me the wrong one. I made mine work anyway. When you get it, measure it up. If it don't fit,have her send the other one.

:anim_25:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."