turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Flying with Firearms?

Started by GAbird, March 05, 2011, 06:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAbird

I will be making a trip out to Kansas in May to try my luck on some Rios.  I read the TSA regulations and it said you had to have a lockable case and ammunition also had to be contained in box/case. I don't want to necessarily break the bank to get a case but thought about this on from Bass Pro:

http://www.basspro.com/Plano%C2%AE-Protector-Double-Scoped-Gun-Case/product/29213/-858151

It looks like it would hold 2 shotguns which is what I would need as my brother is making the trip with me as well.   Any advice on cases or past experiences checking firearms in to fly would be appreciated.

Gamblinman

Get a good aluminum case. Trust me.

Those monkey airline baggage handlers will destroy that plastic one in no time.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

TURKEYWHACKER

Went to Texas 3 springs ago and used a plastic hard case by Docisil (sp) with no problems. We flew with 2 double cases with each one holding one of mine and one of my dads guns, just in case one got misplaced.

fiveyear

Look for something that you can stand on and it won't change shape.  There is a good solid alum. with a rod that locks all the buckles.  We used it on the way to TX.  I've used good plastic ones to CO and ND.  All I recommend is talking to the airline about the whole process in addition to TSA.

neal

Flew to Florida used a plastic case, after it was inspected I locked it then wrapped duct tape around the case just covering the locks, I found a cheap one for $40 worked great and I've had it on a plane a few times no worse for wear. Don't break the bank on one.
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

schuylkillspur

Your taking a chance with a plastic case.
the airlines smashed the crap out of a aluminum case we had our guns in a few years ago on a trip to South Dakota (South West air) I think.
You hav nothing w/o FAITH

Austy

I have flown to Texas, Wyoming, Florida, Nebraska & Oregon on Turkey hunts in the past few years and had no problems as far as my double gun case holding up to the airlines abuse.  Do yourself a favor and invest in a good quality double gun case, either aluminum or heavy plastic.  The one I use is heavy duty plastic and I never had a problem with the case other than them loosing it on my return trip after the hunt, thank god they lost if for 4 days during my return trip from the hunt.  Hopefully you are not going use the case just once and forget about it.  Make sure the case that you buy has wheels to make it easier for yourself going from point A to B.  I will be using mine again in less than 4 weeks to go to Florida on an Osceola Hunt.  As for the Shotgun shells, keep them in a separate checked bag and in the original box that they came in and you should have no problems.  Good Luck!!!