OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

The Story of My First Turkey Season

Started by HARPJ_is_HOOKED, March 01, 2013, 12:06:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ded Goblr

Good story. I myself got few tears on big bull elk I took with my bow, he was so damn beautiful and I worked so hard to get him. A really good hunt can be pretty emotional..   Thanks for the read.

HARPJ_is_HOOKED

Thanks everyone for your comments and encouragement, and for welcoming me. I can't wait to get back in the woods and chase those birds around for a second season. I hope I do more calling in than chasing! I'm already seeing gobbler tracks in the roads and strutting birds on my cameras. I've built a turkey gun this year, so I don't have to tote that heavy Winchester 1300 around on my shoulder. That thing was a beast! I'm fortunate enough to live a few miles down the road from Sumtoy Customs and William fixed me up with a couple of chokes for my gun and the 20ga I got for my daughter. Man they are deadly. Her's even more so than mine! I highly recommend him, if you need a choke. Super nice and informative guy. I've really enjoyed reading everyone's stories and tips on here, as I believe I can learn from other's experience just as I can learn from my own. I only wish I'd found this forum before the end of last season.
Harper Johnson

chatterbox

Tht was a FANTASTIC read!
I was right there with ya! Congrats on sticking with it, and hammerng a great bird! :icon_thumright:

heathwesley

HARP J that was an amazing story.  Hope you dont mind if I copy and paste and send this to a few of my hunting buddies.  I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.
Heath

HARPJ_is_HOOKED

Quote from: heathwesley on March 07, 2013, 03:24:49 PM
HARP J that was an amazing story.  Hope you dont mind if I copy and paste and send this to a few of my hunting buddies.  I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.
Heath
No sir Mr Heath, you go right ahead. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Harper Johnson

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Great read. Thoroughly enjoyed it!

Minimize your mistakes this year and you'll fill your limit.

Don't let the gobble go to your head.  Stay rational, logical and always err on the side of caution.

Good luck, harp!

land cruiser

Excellent story and very well written too! Thanks for sharing and good luck this spring!

Mike Honcho

Great story...I've only been turkey hunting obsessively  for 5 years and had many similar misshaps my first year or two. This time of year I like to get up early and get on OG and read, my season doesn't start till 4-1, ...that was an enjoyable read!

Good luck this season!

birdyhunter

If you only live a few miles from William at sumtoy, I know the area you hunt well. Beautiful country and lots of birds but man can it get thick. I learned how to deer hunt, fish and dove hunt in glenville. My mom and her family are from there.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

HARPJ_is_HOOKED

Thanks y'all. Six hours and I'll be hunting!!! Good luck to everyone who gets to hunt tomorrow!
Harper Johnson

FL-Boss

great story.. I need to let my wife read it so she can "hopefully" understand.  They have no idea ....

Improvinghunter101

Thanks for sharing the story!  It was a good read

HARPJ_is_HOOKED

Quote from: Improvinghunter101 on March 25, 2013, 10:59:47 PM
Thanks for sharing the story!  It was a good read
Thank you. For I also am in Turkey 101. Lucky for me, I didn't have to wait so long to make a good grade this season. Got a good bird the first morning! Good luck this season!!!
Harper Johnson

Uncle Tom

Harp J you need to have that story published...makes me won't to go out to the barn and get out the calls...really enjoyed that read. What a trophy..what did he weigh? Know you have some big birds down there. My daughter-in-law is from the Adel area of Ga. Hope you the best this yr.