turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

gun finish and turkey hunting

Started by Stevo, February 28, 2013, 08:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevo

I have a browning BPS, wood stock with standard blued barrel and receiver.  Will this spoke turkeys?  Do you really need a camo finish?  Thanks for the input and experiences.

BlakeJ

Lots and lots of longbeards have been taken with blued guns with wood stocks. Just be smart about getting your gun up early and know when to move and when to be still.

FullChoke

Maybe. If you are careful to setup in the shadows and not move when they are where they can see you, you will be fine. Remember, a gobbler coming to the gun will most likely be looking down the barrel. Many, many birds have been killed by a blued shotgun with a shiny stock.

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: BlakeJ on February 28, 2013, 08:14:26 PM
Lots and lots of longbeards have been taken with blued guns with wood stocks. Just be smart about getting your gun up early and know when to move and when to be still.

X-2

This young fella is shooting a 20 ga BPS. Non camoed and bright and shiny.

Be still and you will be fine. There great shootin guns.
:anim_25:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

gophert

I'd say you are screwed without a camo gun. :TrainWreck1:

Send that thing to me and go get you something else or you will never kill a turkey. 

BrowningGuy88

The guns I have killed most all of my turkeys with are not full camo. The 1300 has laminate stocks and a blue finish. The 870 has Advantage dipped stocks and a matte black finish. My new 935 is all black and it will be killing turkeys too...

Just watch your movements and any glare from the sun and you will be fine!

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Stevo on February 28, 2013, 08:01:08 PM
I have a browning BPS, wood stock with standard blued barrel and receiver.  Will this spoke turkeys?  Do you really need a camo finish?  Thanks for the input and experiences.

One of the best turkey hunters I've ever known hunted for years with an old Remington 1100. It had a fixed modified choke barrel and most of the original blue had been worn off it. The gun looked like it had seen better days but in his hands it was a serious turkey killer. He used that same gun, the only one he owned, for ducks, geese and as a slug gun for deer.

I seldom hunt with a camo gun but I stay in the shadows and keep my movements to a minimum.

You'll be just fine with that gun.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

zeke632

An old timer I knew who is now past & was one heck of a turkey killer used a old side by side that was almost silver due to years of blue wearing off. He didn't wear camo for years and never did wear camo pants, gloves or a face mask. He hunted when turkeys gobbled, season or not, on public land and killed as many as he and his wife wanted to eat.

I think you will do fine.

870supermagnum

I agree with what others have said already.  Many many turkeys have been kill with guns that weren't camoflaged.  Just stay in the shadows, break-up your outline as much as possible, and no sudden (fast) movements when birds are under 100 yrds.  I believe movement and noise discipline are the big issues when turkey hunting.  Camo difinately helps you blend in, but even with camo on movement and noise will end a hunt quick, movement more so than noise.

mad815

Brown wood stocks are made of wood found in woods. Wood Stocks are as much part of the color of the turkey woods as any camo pattern ever invented.   Your dark blue barrel fits right in with the black colors found in all the woods I hunt. ----   Like others have said--- Movement ---    Web

bushwhacker

They put camo on guns these days to sell then for a higher price. It's just a sales gimmick.

mikejd

I'm sure most guys started with a set up just like that. I know when I started turkey hunting there wasn't a whole lot of production camo guns. I remember my dad pulling out a can of flat black and hitting his Ithaca to cut out the glare. Im a bit ocd so I remember cringing.
Stevo I would just put some of that camo friction tape on the barrel for glare reasons. I mean why not?

runngun

I own several camo guns just because thats how they were when I bought them. With that being said I don't believe it makes a nickles worth of difference......     :OGturkeyhead:
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Stevo

Thanks to all the replies and valuable insight. 

Stevo

Michigander

Quote from: FullChoke on February 28, 2013, 08:15:54 PM
If you are careful to setup in the shadows and not move when they are where they can see you, you will be fine. Remember, a gobbler coming to the gun will most likely be looking down the barrel.

FC

This. The only time it might make a difference is if you have a flock coming in and all of the hens are in front. Or if you have one sneak in from an odd direction. But 99% of the time you will be fine.