turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Truglo SSX

Started by Gobblestik, February 28, 2013, 06:43:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobblestik

What's the constriction on this choke for a Benelli M1? I found them for sale but I can't see a constriction. I'm going to be shooting TSS 9s or 7s. Do you think this will be a good choke/shell combo? I've got an IC 665, tightwad 655, and JH 675. Gonna try them out this weekend but was thinking about the SSX too... Also have a 1187 w/ 26 bbl, would the SSX work in it?

2much2loud

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Gobblestik on February 28, 2013, 06:43:46 PM
What's the constriction on this choke for a Benelli M1? I found them for sale but I can't see a constriction. I'm going to be shooting TSS 9s or 7s. Do you think this will be a good choke/shell combo? I've got an IC 665, tightwad 655, and JH 675. Gonna try them out this weekend but was thinking about the SSX too... Also have a 1187 w/ 26 bbl, would the SSX work in it?

It is .643 and it will work very well.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

BandedSpur

Got to disagree with Clark this time. The SSX is a great choke with lead or HS (I own one for my 1187), but will likely be way too much constriction for TSS. The sweet spot for exit diameters with TSS in 12 ga is .670-.690. The JH .675 should be the ticket with TSS.

01Foreman400

Huntin Fool From Georgia!

Gobblestik

:newmascot:
Quote from: BandedSpur on February 28, 2013, 07:52:19 PM
Got to disagree with Clark this time. The SSX is a great choke with lead or HS (I own one for my 1187), but will likely be way too much constriction for TSS. The sweet spot for exit diameters with TSS in 12 ga is .670-.690. The JH .675 should be the ticket with TSS.

This was my thinking but wasn't 100% so I thought I'd ask the experts here... Thanks Y'all!!!

bunk

Are you sure that JH is 675? I've only seen the Benelli JH in 655.

gophert

Yes...you definitely need to open that thing up if your shooting TSS.  Although, the awesome thing about TSS is that it gives you some wiggle room at close range, but holds a good tight pattern at long range.  I would start with the IC .665 you have and move up.  Remember, TSS is not as choke specific as Hevi shot.  Sometimes the cheap $20 choke or the factor full will be all you need. 

Gobblestik

Quote from: bunk on February 28, 2013, 11:46:41 PM

You could be right...I'm not 100%. You've got me wondering though. I'll check tonight!

allaboutshooting

When Kyle Smith was loading TSS in #7 & #8 shot I did some independent work for him shooting his shells in both 12 gauge and 20 gauge versions. I shot those shells through a variety of chokes, including the SSX in 12 gauge and it did just fine but later we found out that more open chokes, just as you've stated, in the .670 - .675 range (the first generation Wright's were actually best) did much better. You also get much less choke damage with TSS in the more open chokes as well.

Toward the end of that work, I shot some of his shells through a Benelli SBE with a 1st generation Wright's that was about .675 and saw probably the best results I'd seen with his shells.

Thanks,
Clark

Gobblestik

You were right its a 655, the IC is 665, and tightwad is 675.

BandedSpur

Quote from: allaboutshooting on March 01, 2013, 10:19:00 AM

When Kyle Smith was loading TSS in #7 & #8 shot I did some independent work for him shooting his shells in both 12 gauge and 20 gauge versions. I shot those shells through a variety of chokes, including the SSX in 12 gauge and it did just fine but later we found out that more open chokes, just as you've stated, in the .670 - .675 range (the first generation Wright's were actually best) did much better. You also get much less choke damage with TSS in the more open chokes as well.

Toward the end of that work, I shot some of his shells through a Benelli SBE with a 1st generation Wright's that was about .675 and saw probably the best results I'd seen with his shells.

Thanks,
Clark

And those early Kyle Smith loads were with small payloads. Kyle concentrated on waterfowl and never, despite a lot of pleading, warmed up to the idea of heavier payloads for turkey hunting.

BandedSpur

Quote from: Gobblestik on March 02, 2013, 10:10:34 PM

You were right its a 655, the IC is 665, and tightwad is 675.

In that case, try your factory full choke, and your tightwad. I have seen some beautiful TSS patterns with an IC .665 that are too tight to hunt with and many others that show signs of being over choked. The man that has shot more TSS and developed more TSS loads than anyone on the planet runs a .690 in his Mossburg 500. Tight chokes work great with HS, but TSS is another animal all together.

allaboutshooting

QuoteAnd those early Kyle Smith loads were with small payloads. Kyle concentrated on waterfowl and never, despite a lot of pleading, warmed up to the idea of heavier payloads for turkey hunting.

Yes. Although toward the end he loaded some shells with the turkey hunter in mind. They did not have large payloads. He felt them to be unnecessary. I shot some of the 20s through a Swarm turkey choke and he had pictures of those patterns on his site. The were quite impressive despite the relatively low number of pellets in each load. They had #8 shot as I recall and I don't remember the weight. I still have a number of both his 12 gauge and 20 gauge shells in about 3 different shot sizes.

Thanks,
Clark