Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What's the Biggest Turkey Hunting MYTH????

Started by redleg06, February 28, 2013, 08:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jarbo03

That they will roost in the same tree. I would like to hunt where they do anything the same.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Eric Gregg

Quote from: barry on March 01, 2013, 03:15:43 PM
Quote from: FullChoke on February 28, 2013, 09:56:16 PM
When a gobbler answers you, he knows exactly which tree you're sitting at. Oh, puhleeeze.  ::)

FullChoke

He may not know "exactly which tree" you're setting at but I bet my left acorn he can fly down to within 10 yards of where you're settin'!

I can testify to that from experience. Story too long for this thread, but I had one come right to where I "had" been sitting and cross only five feet from the tree. I watched it happen

Byhalia

When a gobbler answers you, he knows exactly which tree you're sitting at. Oh, puhleeeze.  ::)

FullChoke

He may not know "exactly which tree" you're setting at but I bet my left acorn he can fly down to within 10 yards of where you're settin'!

:z-winnersmiley:   :icon_thumright:
~ Listen to the Wind ~    http://customprocalls.com/

hoyt

ILIKEHEVI-13

That Hevi-13 #7's are too small for turkeys and they don't have enough penetration at 40yds to kill one as good as larger shot.  I used to think that way, but now I know better. 

gobblerhunter

After reading all the replys, I have to agree with most due to experience.  I would like to touch on two.
First, I totally agree with ILIKEHEVI-13, I have harvested several birds at +40 yds with #7's.  In two cases, it was the second bird that ran after the first shot.  In the excitement, I don't check to see how far the birds were.
Second, myth about knowing where the call sound comes from.  On one occasion, I had three mature gobblers on the other side of a high fence.  I called them to within 5-10 yards of me, looking me straight in the face.  I let them walk down the fence about 100-120 yds.  I called them back, either 3 or 4 times.  Each time, they would return to the same spot, looking at the same tree, searching for the source of the call.  They knew exactly where the sound was coming from, down to the tree I was leaning against.  I was not hunting with a decoy, so they had no point of reference, only the sound.

redleg06

I Also think it' a myth when people say they shot a bird so hard "he didnt even flop"...

I've shot turkey at 5 to 10 yards and about blown their heads off and still seen them flop. I've also shot them at 40 yards and seen them never twitch...

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: redleg06 on March 02, 2013, 12:19:16 PM
I Also think it' a myth when people say they shot a bird so hard "he didnt even flop"...

I've shot turkey at 5 to 10 yards and about blown their heads off and still seen them flop. I've also shot them at 40 yards and seen them never twitch...

I killed one that didn't flop at about 18 yds. 

There wasa video on youtube a guy shot one up close and it never flopped or twitched.  I'll see if I can find it for ya. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

At 5:52 in this video you can see that this bird never twitched.  Shooting into them about head on up close like this seems to maybe be the only way to drop them stone dead. 

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/f5B2NB0lIIM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Duke0002

Quote from: Eric Gregg on March 01, 2013, 11:12:35 PM

FullChoke

I can testify to that from experience. Story too long for this thread, but I had one come right to where I "had" been sitting and cross only five feet from the tree. I watched it happen

If there's anything fairly consistent about turkey and turkey hunting is that a gobbler, even a jake, knows the location of a call or other noise.  They're so good at this that its spooky! 

redleg06

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on March 02, 2013, 02:29:08 PM
Quote from: redleg06 on March 02, 2013, 12:19:16 PM

I killed one that didn't flop at about 18 yds. 

There wasa video on youtube a guy shot one up close and it never flopped or twitched.  I'll see if I can find it for ya.

I'm not saying that its a myth because it doesnt ever happen. I'm saying that I dont think the flopping is a result of them being "more dead" because of a "hard hitting" load of (insert your favorite brand of choke tube or shell here___________).

I'm talking about a guy coming in and telling me that he shot that bird with "that hevi shot" or "Jelly head choke tube" and it hitting the bird so hard he "didnt even flop"...

I've shot turkey at various ranges with various loads and some of them were as direct of hit as you could ever make and the bird still flops. The opposite can also happen - not a ton of visible damage but the bird doesnt flop.  Both are dead and the flopping (or lack of) had nothing to do with the load or choke, past the extent of killing him...dead is dead....a flopping dead bird is just as dead as a perfectly still dead bird IMO.

jwhunter

you have to shoot 3.5 inch shells to kill one!!

dcar_roll

That a bird that just slept all night in the rain will not walk around anywhere after flydown except in an open field so his wings will not get wet!
Hunting- Not just a job,but an adventure !