OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Anyone ever used an app?

Started by nacheswheelin, February 26, 2013, 11:51:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nacheswheelin

Has anyone ever used an app with an external speaker to call in a turkey? I have found a couple apps on my phone that give off real turkey sounds. Has anyone ever tried this, I was wondering if it would work?

goldenhunter

First of all, in the state I live in, it's illegal to turkey hunt with electronic calls on any kind, including smart phone apps. Second of all, that's not real turkey hunting. The best part of turkey hunting is communicating with the birds. I promise you won't be able to really get in a gobblers head with some pre-recorded sound from and app. Get yourself a few calls and learn how (and most importantly when) to use them. It will make your hunting experience much more enjoyable. I'm kinda assuming you might be new to turkey hunting. Lot's of good info on here on different type calls and how to use. I'd start with a box and a pot call. Keep reading and asking questions. People here will give good advice for the most part. Better yet, find a veteran hunter you can tag along with.

whiskey

Not sure about your state, but it's illegal in mine. Actually it's illegal to be in possession of electronic calls while hunting, so just having the app is illegal if my phone is in my pocket.

I did use recordings to help teach myself to call. Just something to try and match my calls to in the living room.

JamesG

I know its illegal to use electronic calls in the state i hunt, but this past fall(while turks were not in season) i heard some hens and used an app on my phone to call back to them with out an external speaker. In minutes they were all around my stand. I wouldnt even consider doing that during the turkey season though. Just not my style besides being illegal.

VanHelden Game Calls

Better yet. Use an app to find your local grocer, not only can you call it in, they may even have a drive thru so you don't even have to get out of the car.  And its even cleaned for ya :you_rock:

Electronics are killing the outdoors.  Even GPS :z-dizzy:

whiskey

Quote from: VanHelden Game Calls on February 27, 2013, 08:59:34 AM
Better yet. Use an app to find your local grocer, not only can you call it in, they may even have a drive thru so you don't even have to get out of the car.  And its even cleaned for ya :you_rock:

Electronics are killing the outdoors.  Even GPS :z-dizzy:

That's one way to look at it. Another is that it helps get some folks into the wood that would otherwise not go.

I use an app to learn mushrooms. I use an app to learn trees. I use an app to check my location. I use apps to check approaching weather. I also check sunrise, sunset and moon phase into the future.

Now, I don't have a grandpa still alive to teach me many of these woods wise things. I wouldn't be able to learn many new things without the help of electronics. I have learned a lot from electronic information. I learned to use a map and compass in the Army, doesn't mean I don't like the aid of a GPS.

I think we all need to turn off our electronics more, but I do see lots of positive with them.

Fatbeard

Absolutely not! It's not allowed in Tn but I would Never do it!
East TN Beard Buster

nacheswheelin

I did not know that the electronic calls were illegal. I do agree that it takes away from the fun of hunting but as a new turkey hunter I was just trying to find out all the "tricks" that I can. I did some research and bought a decent one way box call and a crow call. I can do yelps and cuts pretty good, then when I was practicing I found the app while trying to find sounds to mimic. There were certain patterns on the app that I felt would be impossible to mimic.

VanHelden Game Calls

Whiskey; apples and oranges.  Your using the Apps to learn the O.P. was inquiring to use it as an aid.

Now I have no problem using a computer to learn how to use a call, heck even build calls. ;D

goldenhunter

Quote from: nacheswheelin on February 27, 2013, 11:44:05 PM
I did not know that the electronic calls were illegal. I do agree that it takes away from the fun of hunting but as a new turkey hunter I was just trying to find out all the "tricks" that I can. I did some research and bought a decent one way box call and a crow call. I can do yelps and cuts pretty good, then when I was practicing I found the app while trying to find sounds to mimic. There were certain patterns on the app that I felt would be impossible to mimic.

There are some good cd's out that have live recordings of real hen turkeys. That's what you want to try to mimic. Keep practicing on the box call. You can do just about any call you need with a box. I would suggest getting a some type of pot call next (slate or glass). There's lots of info on here and other places that can teach you how to use the call. Just keep practicing. Your woods skills are more important than your calling skills. If you can make basic yelps, purrs, and clucks, you ought to be able to kill a turkey if you have any hunting savvy at all. Keep practicing, keep reading and asking questions on here, and don't give up. It's not as hard as some people make it out to be.

nacheswheelin

Quote from: goldenhunter on February 28, 2013, 05:44:46 PM

There are some good cd's out that have live recordings of real hen turkeys. That's what you want to try to mimic. Keep practicing on the box call. You can do just about any call you need with a box. I would suggest getting a some type of pot call next (slate or glass). There's lots of info on here and other places that can teach you how to use the call. Just keep practicing. Your woods skills are more important than your calling skills. If you can make basic yelps, purrs, and clucks, you ought to be able to kill a turkey if you have any hunting savvy at all. Keep practicing, keep reading and asking questions on here, and don't give up. It's not as hard as some people make it out to be.

Thanks, I am planning on mastering the box before I move onto other calls but I will definitely need to get a good slate or glass call to pur with. I have been doing some scouting and found a group of turkeys on the creek. I am going to look for their roost and strutting grounds this weekend and try to use some locator calls to see what works.

Rio Fan

I think you'll get a lot more satisfaction and feel a much greater sense of accomplishment when you call in a bird by using a turkey call.  Good luck, I hope you call one in and kill it!