turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

NE Washington Turkeys?

Started by hobbes, February 25, 2013, 10:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hobbes

Anyone here hunted the Colville NF in northeast Washington? 

We've been hunting Nebraska in late May to extend our season, but Nebraska seems too far for me now for a four or five day hunt and half the area burned to a crisp last year.  South Dakota's season is the same dates as MT and it will be a miracle if we fill tags on public land here in MT.  I am trying to make some private land contacts this year, but I've got to get some good areas nailed down here before burning time in another state.  Two of the kids will now be old enough to hunt he. MT is trying to pass an apprentice hunter lic through the House  (already passed Senate) which will also allow my 10 year old to hunt this year, so that will make four of us with licenses (five if my wife hunts). I'll have more on my hands here than I know what to do with.

Anyway......WA season runs to the end of May like NE.  Since it's closer I thought about a late may hunt there.  ID is another possibility, but WA is sounding like a better opportunity.  Has anyone hunted NE Washington during the late season.  I usually really like late season but wondered if anyone had experience with the birds in this area during that time.

GobbleNut

Haven't been there personally, but I know a couple of guys that went up there last year.  They said they had a hard time finding birds to hunt, that the birds were mostly on private ag lands, and that the landowners were very protective of the birds and would not let them hunt.  I'm sure there are exceptions to that, but that was their experience.  Then again, having a passel of kids along might be just the ticket to getting permission on some places that would not otherwise let you hunt...