turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What's Your Opinion?

Started by strut2, February 25, 2013, 08:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J Hook Max

My favorite place is Middle Tennessee. The land is beautiful and the woods full of turkeys. The same said for the Missouri Ozarks.
The toughest for me is right here at home in South Alabama and over in South Mississippi. It may be tough , but the challenge is fun.

Gooserbat

Toughest is south east Oklahoma, my favorite is Missouri.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Wrangler95

Gobblers beware in Tennessee!
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

CT Spur Collector

Favorite: Pennsylvania- You just can't beat that cool, clean crisp morning. Some mornings so cold, the gobblers can see your breath. It's a beautiful state. Lived here all my life and I'll be buried right here.

Hardest: Pennsylvania- You better have some ground you can call your own or you're going to have a rough time killing old Tom. PA is the largest landowner in the state with over 1.8 million acres of public hunting...............and everyone knows it. Our birds are pressured more than any in the union. I've hunted many states, had success with ease.   I've always said......"if you can kill one here, you can kill one anywhere."

If you've been here, you know.  I won't change a thing. I've harvested birds in the fall and spring every year since 1986. Absolutely love it!!

Publicland

I love hunting em anywhere but I'll take home as my favorite ,home beingNC! As far as for toughest it would have to be SC public lands,followed by a very PA public lands, they are both a major test for any gobbler chaser! Hopefully after this spring I can add some more to the lists big spring ahead!!!!

Hooksfan

If I were to say my favorite--being the one that I would choose to hunt over others--I would say South Dakota would get the nod.  Mainly for the novelty of it and change of scenery for me.
The most difficult is a pretty easy choice for me.  In my experience, no doubt is my home state of Louisiana--I currently live in Missouri.

CASH

Alabama. Of course it's the only state I've hunted turkeys in.

I really love seeing folks come here to turkey hunt the first time, look at the woods we hunt and ask, "How do you hunt turkeys in that stuff?"
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

hoyt

I never traveled to hunt turkeys so my states are few. Ga., S.C., Fl. and Il.
Out of those states the Osceola's were most difficult to hunt..just because of terrain, thick foliage making them hard to hear and see.

But, the most difficult to kill have been these public land Easterns in Il. These birds are just wilder and will take off flying if they catch movement from a 100yds off. It's very hard to get on the same ridge with a gobbler without being seen and they flat don't like to get off the one they're on.

gob09

Ive only hunted them in middle tn the birds on public land are very hard to kill they dont gobble much
and they move around with there head on a swivel they wont answer calling and run from dekes
Sent from my C771

Neill_Prater

I've lived in Missouri my whole life, and turkey hunted here for over 10 years before venturing anywhere else. Since then, I've hunted in seven other states, killing birds in 5 of them. A few years ago, if you had asked me this question, I would have, with little hesitation, said Kansas, but the turkey population in the areas I hunted most plummeted several years ago after extensive flooding during the nesting season.

Alabama would probably get the nod now, and has been the destination for my annual spring getaway for the past dozen years. Neill

birdyhunter

From my limited experience (fl,ga,NC,sc,va) I would have to say favorite is either va or sc. Liberal bird limits and plenty of them. Toughest is definitely fl. Mosquitoes bigger than your head and everything down here either wants to stick you or bite you. Birds don't gobble a ton and the swampy thick terrain makes it very difficult to move on birds.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

deerhunt1988

Have hunted public land in TN, MO, SD, KS, NE, and my home state of MS.

Hardest: MS public land, primarily due to the season opening a bit early for the north half of the state and the birds get a ton of pressure before they are ready to 'act right'. In every other state I have hunted we have had no problem finding birds to 'act right'. We have made three trips for public land Osceolas, and as far as time spent hunting per shot opportunities, the MS birds are harder.

Favorite: VERY hard to decide..But I guess I'd have to say the Missouri Ozarks....Have made 5 hunts there.. Love those big hardwood hills...And those gobblers seem to the be the loudest gobbling and drumming birds there are! Plus I love being able to hear a gobble a mile away in the right terrain...

longspur

My favorite is Ga. thats where I do most of my hunting. I've hunted Fla. but not enough to form an opinion.

Byhalia

Quote from: CT Spur Collector on February 26, 2013, 07:10:25 PM
Favorite: Pennsylvania- You just can't beat that cool, clean crisp morning. Some mornings so cold, the gobblers can see your breath. It's a beautiful state. Lived here all my life and I'll be buried right here.

Hardest: Pennsylvania- You better have some ground you can call your own or you're going to have a rough time killing old Tom. PA is the largest landowner in the state with over 1.8 million acres of public hunting...............and everyone knows it. Our birds are pressured more than any in the union. I've hunted many states, had success with ease.   I've always said......"if you can kill one here, you can kill one anywhere."

If you've been here, you know.  I won't change a thing. I've harvested birds in the fall and spring every year since 1986. Absolutely love it!!

WELL SAID.....this is hands down the toughest !!!!!   :z-winnersmiley:
~ Listen to the Wind ~    http://customprocalls.com/

Wingbone

Favorite? I'd have to go with Kansas. I have a couple farms I hunt there, and if that was the last place on Earth to hunt them, I'd be fine with that. It's just a whole different way of hunting them compared to home, here in TN.

The Toughest? I have to say the Pine Ridge in NW Nebraska. Those Merriams hit the ground running with a certain place in their minds that they have to be, by a certain time, or something. And if you aren't set up on their way to wherever that place is, you are SOL. I can't tell you how many times I'd get one fired up, gobbling every 10 seconds or so, and every gobble he sounded 300 yards farther away. I got to witness it one morning last year. Bird fired up on the roost, he hit the ground in full strut with 12 hens, running...all of them. They ran across the valley, up and over the next mountain, gobbling every breath and in strut the whole time. Dangdest thing I've ever seen.
In Hoc Signo Vinces