OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Field hunting with blind

Started by northms, February 25, 2013, 12:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northms

I know this has been talked about before but when I searched the forum I couldn't find what I was looking for.

I hunt lots of pastures and there's one place in particular the birds love to strut in the wide open and has about two or three big oaks out in this one pasture.  I would like to put a blind up for a buddy that isn't too experienced with turkey hunting and put a few dekes out. Sooner or later the birds will be there.

Regardless, my question is how tolerant will birds be, from your experience, of a big blind put up against a few trees in a big pasture?  I don't want to leave it out permanent because the material will fade so it would be a set-up each time type of deal. 

Do you think they would be skittish to a pop up or not in a field like that?

Thanks for the opinions.  I might just have to trial and error to see if they're ok with it.  :OGturkeyhead:

birdyhunter

In my experience you can pop a blind up just about anywhere and hunt it. Ive set them up in the wide open and had birds all over me.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

spaightlabs

Quote from: birdyhunter on February 25, 2013, 01:06:37 PM
In my experience you can pop a blind up just about anywhere and hunt it. Ive set them up in the wide open and had birds all over me.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Same here.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Pop up the blind and kill one from it at 5 yards an hour or two later!

captin_hook

Quote from: birdyhunter on February 25, 2013, 01:06:37 PM

stone road turkey calls

Go ahead and set up your blind, turkeys wont pay any attention to it.
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

atoler

My suggestion would be to take about 20 minutes, get a pair of snips, and go cut a big bundle of brush. Haul it out there with a truck/atv/sidexside etc. and make a low profile blind against the tree. Litterally takes about 20 minutes to make a nice one, and then you don't have to worry about a pop up blind every time you go in and out. I carry a little hand saw in my vest just for this, don't do it much but if I decide to sit for a while, I'll make a little blind to help with movement in case a silent bird comes in.

kansas hooks

I have put my double bull blind right out in the middle of a field before and had turkeys within 10 yards of me.  I didn't put anything around it to break up the out line of it either.

renegade19

Mike Honcho

Turkeys aren't like deer when it comes to blinds. Get in there in the dark, pop it up quietly and kill toms not long after flydown.  Probably doesn't hurt to put it up ahead of time but not necessary.

I don't like to leave them out because it draws attention of other hunters...sometimes where I hunt with a blind is just a corn or soybean stubble field with no other cover...I like to get in, set up, call em in and harvest...get back out.

AUDoubleBeard

Just make sure on a sunny day it is not reflecting the sun to much!

30_06

As long as its not shiny or flapping in the wind I have never had problems with them in the open.

lightsoutcalls

Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Wrangler95

I only use popup blinds in fields with decoys.Like others have said,the turkeys pay no attenion to the blinds!
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!