OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

PULLING BIRDS

Started by DMP, March 05, 2011, 02:53:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMP

Im part of a club with 2000 acres and we have some decent turkey hunting.  Not loaded but decent.  Just found out that a adjacent club has just been leased by a very wealthy club who dumps money into their land and I mean dumps money into it.  Question I have is will they eventually pull all the birds to them with their huge well planted food plots?  Ive seen pics of one of their places and it looks like heaven for a hunter.  If it wasn't so expensive id just join them but to rich for my blood.

deerhunt1988

Yup. The birds will go where the best spring habitat is.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Gobble!

I would think so. Maybe after those guys do a lot of shooting what ever birds are left might head your way.

jshively

SR1

Just call the birds off that property. I have called many birds off posted property onto property I can hunt. The birds dont have a clue about lines they just go where ever the breading and habitat is best.
Death Smiles At Everyone - Marines Smile Back
Artillery Brings Dignity to What Would Otherwise Be Just A Vulgar Brawl
Happiness Is A Belt-Fed Weapon
[/url]

BOFF

In my opinion, food plots are not everything. There has to be a nesting ground as well. The hens will be near the nesting grounds later in the season, and gobblers will be there as well. Yes, the birds may feed over on the other property, but they won't nest in open ground either.

Just my thoughts.

God Bless,
David B.

honker22

If the birds currently use your property, I wouldn't worry too much.  THey may have prettier stuff but turkeys will prefer the better nesting habitat and feeding areas.  If they start prescribed burning and all the works, then yes they will pull some off of you
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

DMP

Thats the problem, they do all the works and then some.

Ive tried and tried to get our guys to do just some of the works but they just don't get it.

alloutdoors

You may notice some effect for a year or two, but after that not much.  If they really improve the habitat some birds may spend more time there, but if they make it that good they will also be producing a lot of surplus birds.  Any piece of ground is going to have a maximum carrying capacity, once they hit that things should go back to normal on your piece.  Where you may notice it again is if you get several poor production years in a row and the population thins a bit.  Then some more birds may move over into the better habitat. 

As far as creating some sort of turkey black hole that sucks all the birds off of your land, it's not going to happen.  If anything, you may see some benefit if they create a turkey factory that constantly turns out surplus birds.

PANYHunter

Quote from: alloutdoors on March 05, 2011, 05:52:51 PM
You may notice some effect for a year or two, but after that not much.  If they really improve the habitat some birds may spend more time there, but if they make it that good they will also be producing a lot of surplus birds.  Any piece of ground is going to have a maximum carrying capacity, once they hit that things should go back to normal on your piece.  Where you may notice it again is if you get several poor production years in a row and the population thins a bit.  Then some more birds may move over into the better habitat. 

As far as creating some sort of turkey black hole that sucks all the birds off of your land, it's not going to happen.  If anything, you may see some benefit if they create a turkey factory that constantly turns out surplus birds.

I would have to agree alloutdoors. The carrying capacity will increase and there will probably be more birds in the whole area. 

3.5inchpainfulldeath

Spring bird are not thinking with there bellies... they are thinking with other things in mind...  true the hens might be on the food ploted property, but sooner or later those hens are going to be all breed.  Calling them off the property shouldn't be too difficult..   good luck..

lmbhngr

SKFOOTER

2 or 3 strategically placed corn filled tripod feeders on your lease will hold the hens on your side of the line which will in turn attract the gobblers.   Just be sure they're empty prior to the season opener or don't hunt near them if they continue to run.  And don't think for a second that your neighbors are not feeding them!! :gobble:

Reloader

Yep, they can easily pull the birds off your property, happens all the time.

I see it every year, it's very common for them to move to the most suitable habitat year to year.  If they do burns, food plots, supplemental feed, and provide good nesting habitat, they will pull in alot of birds. 

The only way to keep the birds is provide the habitat they thrive in. 

What SKFOOTER mentioned is actually the easiest way to keep birds.  You can feed them and not hunt near it.  Lots of folks do it successfully all over the country.  I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but it works everywhere I've seen it done.  You have to provide suitable habitat as well. It's no different than planting turkey plots, much cheaper, much easier, and just as effective. This is very popular in Texas and it holds birds very well.

Reloader